Quote Originally Posted by Richard Goodwin View Post
Hi Hans,

a beautiful bed. I am in the process of designing one similar, however I was contemplating larger panels with only one stile in the middle. Your idea of laminating the stile is a good one. I am interested in how you did the forming, but don't quite understand your description above. What is a pattern router bit and I'm not sure what you meant by using dominoes? Also are you able to post more information re the design - height of head and foot boards etc?

Hi Richard,
I'm sorry I missed your post so my response is so slow. Here is an exploded view of the veneer press I made:
Bed Veneer Press.jpg
A pattern router bit has a bearing on one end that rolls against the shape you want to duplicate. The blades are the same diameter as the bearing.

I didn't actually laminate the stiles, though if I had it to do again, I would.

For the veneer press, I used a Festool Domino to cut mortices in each of the pieces that formed the press. Since the mortices are exactly registered, the glue-up gives me two uniform surfaces of exactly the same curvature, so there is even pressure on the veneer. The pictures below give some different views.
bed veneer press final.jpgBed veneer press done.jpgbed veneer press with cauls.jpg
The head board is 54" high, the footboard is 39". The panels are 20" high and 12" wide. I used sketchup to design it - if you wish I could email you the file.

Regards
Hans