Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many chucks are to many?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Stivison View Post
    I now have 7 chucks. 4 Nova G3, 2 Super Nova, 1 old Nova. I was told by a Creeker that we all know and love that I may be close to having enough. How many is to many?

Jeesh Curt, How many is enough? If you have money to buy another one GO FOR IT I have one and personally there have been many times I wish I had 2 or 3 more. One that is permanently set up for my jumbo jaws and another one so I can leave a turning in the chuck if for some reason I want to turn something else requiring a chuck.

PS - Your not gloating by any chance

Blog Entries
    I have 10 maybe 11, I gave a 1 or 2 away, or i'd be at 11 or 12. Not counting my vac chucks, you could add 3 or 4 more counting those.(2 complete holdfast systems, and a 220V vac unit)

Oh then I have a few very old ones that I got with my vintage Delta 1460 lathes. (these are more for metal work tho.)
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Truth be known, I only have one chuck. Actually, that's not totally accurate. I have a drill chuck and a collet chuck and a screw chuck in addition to my SN2. But I only have the one SN2. So I am doomed to changing jaws, swapping pieces around and all of the other nuisance inconveniences inherent in this crippling limitation. Nevertheless, by some miracle, I am actually able to get some things made...
    David DeCristoforo

I had this dicussion last week with Kirk DeHeer (Craft Supplies) at the local wood show. He has and uses 20 of them. I was buying my third.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

In his article on chucks in the Dec 2010 American Woodturner, Richard Raffan says, "...but the bad news for tool junkies is that you can probably make do with as few as ten."

I only have two 4 jaw scroll chucks a SN2 and a G3. But I have seven sets of jaws. A couple of more chucks really would be handy.
    God is great and life is good!

It is simple, When you exceed the weight limit of your floor you have to many. One of the reasons I built my shop on a slab. I should be able to have no limit on chucks. I have two strong holds and two talons as of now, but can see getting a few more in the future if I ever get a deal that I can't walk away from. there really is only a very slight difference in time between changing a chuck and changing the jaws, but I hate changing jaws to do one bowl and than change back to do the next and so on. It does add up to more time than one might think if they are changing back and forth a lot. I used to find my self putting off bowls that I had to change the jaws for until I had them on the chuck for another bowl. If you watch for sales the bodies can be had at a nice savings.
    Jack

I have three.Not nearly enough.I think 6 -10 would be adequate.

John

too many? never happen! got 2 sn2s 1 small nova 1 woodriver and a grizzly for the mini lathe. makes a lot of difference not having to change jaws in middle of a job.

Don't forget the other end...

Quote Originally Posted by cliff smith View Post
    too many? never happen!
    You have to leave room in your shop for tailstock Jacobs chucks. If you have self-ejecting tailstocks you'll need one MT chuck for each size drill bit you regularly use if you do vases, HFs, mills, etc., plus a few extras. Mostly you can get by with low-end Jacobs chucks, but a couple precision ones for items that need to be drilled to precise diameters. I have seven.

I guess the verdict is in. Can't have to many chucks. Thanks for affirming my opinion. Forgot about Jacob chucks, I only have two of them.

Curt

You have too many chucks when you have to get rids of some of your bar clamps to make room for additional chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    When you have more chucks than jaws......
    Correct answer, Baxter.

`
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    In his article on chucks in the Dec 2010 American Woodturner, Richard Raffan says, "...but the bad news for tool junkies is that you can probably make do with as few as ten."
    But, having ten chucks (and jaw sets) I'm afraid that Richard got this one wrong...

3 to 4 more and I think I can 'make do'...
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

When you have so many chucks that they replace the ballast on your lathe you probably have too many.

I started to say something smart like what is a bar clamp when Roger posted his thread, but then remembered how important they can be in the world of turning. Here is a video of how they can best be used with wood lathes. One last note on chucks. I love to turn but really don't like to change chuck jaws so more chucks equals more fun!!
    Jack
    Go to topic Miscellaneous in the menu choices and scroll down to Nick Cook's video and you can see how they are best used. If you scroll over to the right in the topic section you will also find a AAW topic with some great video's on turning.
    http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/do...eo_library.php