Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortar & Pestal

Mortar & Pestal

A mortar and pestle has been on my list of things to do. One of our club members asked if I would turn one for him to give to his friend that is either already a Dr or is studying to become one (can't remember which). So I've kind of been waiting until the time "felt right" and I decided which wood to use.

So I got home from work today after picking up a small load of some mesquite and the mystery wood, which I think now might be arborvitae (a couple of branches still had some foliage left). Anyway, took the truck over to the wood pile to unload and seal the new load, and one of the left over chunks of pecan was laying there, staring me in the face
    It was a good size chunk, maybe a 1/4 of a log about 1' long. It had a nice streak of heartwood and was clean and clear. So I jumped online to see if I could find a pic of a mortar & pestle I liked and then I got out the chainsaw and cut out about a 5" x 5" x 9-10" spindle blank. Turned it round, then cut a tenon on each end and parted it in about in half so I had 2 pieces each with a tenon, 1 for the mortar and 1 for the pestle.

Something in the air was just right today, it turned as sweet and smooth as can be! I used my hollowing rig to turn the inside of the mortar (good practice with the rig being able to see exactly what it was doing, and also made it a breeze to get a very consistent wall thickness to the exact thickness I wanted).

So here it is with just a 1st coat of DO. 3 3/4" tall x 4 1/4 wide, 2 7/8" deep and 3/8" walls. I wanted to keep it fairly heavy since a delicate mortar would be pretty useless. The pestle is 3 3/4" long and maybe 1 1/2" at the widest (forgot to measure that part).

Comments alway welcome!
    3-22-11 002s.jpg 3-22-11 006s.jpg
    3-22-11 004s.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I like it... I've got a cube of mesquite that looks like it may have a set in it.
    Gotta get a camera that works...
    Mick

Very nice work. Looks interesting. I may try one.

How does the wood hold up to actual use?
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe Duncan View Post
    Very nice work. Looks interesting. I may try one.

How does the wood hold up to actual use?
    I made one for a lady about 3 years ago and it is still going today... it was turned from very dry Red gum and finished with paraffin oil and she oils it about once a month
    regards
    Graham

Very nice, I like the two tone effect. I will have to try some pecan if I can find a piece that is green.
    Eugene in NC

Nice work, Kathy, and the heartwood/sapwood thing really adds interest. I need to take handwriting lessons from you!! Nice signature.

Nice piece. I've not tried one of those yet.

great! I like how you finish your bottom and your identifying..looks great

I like it. And I wish my signatures and dates would come out looking like that -
    The heartwood-sapwood constrast definitely adds to the package.

Very nice. Like others have said your printing on the bottom is great, wish I could do that.

Kathy that is cool. I really like the contrast of the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's almost to pretty Kathy. Usually M&P sets are all craggly and rough looking...this is very smooth. I would only suggest a thicker wall...3/8th does't seem like a lot, but if feels beefy...mash it up!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great job Kathy. That is something I have thought about making for a long time but have yet to do. Yours looks great!

That looks really fine! The heart/sap wood adds interest, nice clean lines. May have to try something similar.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

15. That is a very nice piece of work, Kathy. I am sure the Doctor will treasure it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!