Thread: How durable is a Festool dust extractor?

How durable is a Festool dust extractor?

I have a chance to pick up a Festool dust extractor (CT33) and sander (not sure which model) for $250. As of now I have not laid my eyes on it, but just wanted to get a general idea of how durable this thing is. Other than the price for their tools, I have only heard praise for Festool.

This seems to be a decent price, so... Is there anything I should look for when checking it out?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Cyrus Brewster 7; 03-23-2011 at 7:59 AM.

$250.00 is a good deal no matter what sander it comes with. I have 2 CT's and they are very durable IMO, the variable speed took a dump on one of mine, so that would be one thing to check out. Check for good suction, ck the HEPA filters, and plug the sander in to the vac to make sure the auto switch works, should be good to go after that.

Run, don't walk to buy it.

The CT33 is easily worth $350 by itself and there's not a Festool sander out there thats worth less than $125 used.

Quit asking questions and buy them!

Great deal.

JT

Just to add more info to the question. You can also stack the storage units that the Festool tools come in on top of the vacuum unit. If the sander still has its systainer[the name of the storage box], it will lock onto the top of the dust extractor for storage and transportation. I've had multiple systainers loaded on mine, the weight rating of the vacuums casters is pretty high since Festool knows they may be put to the test on a job site. The plug at the end of the vacuum power cord may still be the funky 20 amp recp version that requires the short adapter connector which converts it to the more familar 15 amp plug end. People also cut the 20 amp version off and wire a regular decent 15 amp male end onto the power cord so no adapter is needed.
    As others have said, at those prices, if it works and looks decent, you'll make out just fine.
    The normal size hose for the tools when using the vacuum is the smaller 27mm version. Check and see if any dust collection hoses are being offered with the unit. The anti-static hoses are green, the non-versions are not. Plus one if you're getting a stock anti-static hose with the vacuum. The larger hose is the 36mm version, but is generally only used for non-sander applications like a saw or router where larger chips are encountered.

Unless it's trashed, that package is worth at least double the price. Used Festools typically fetch around 70% of their original purchase price.

Cyrus - I see that it has been deleted from Craigs List. I hope you got it!

No matter the responses I received to this post, I was "going" to buy it... to my sadness, it was gone before I could get away from the office at 9:30 this morning. (I work 10 minutes from the guy.) I did not even care about the sander. That was "going" to be a bonus. Thanks anyway for the replies.

Someday I will get to post a gloat. I am really looking forward to it. The chase is part of the fun.

Bummer... I have the CT33E and Rotex 150, that was a smoking deal. When a deal pops like that on CL, you have to jump on it quick, but not sure you could have made it any quicker.

I've got CL "subscribed" as a webpage, with a search string of "Lagune | Agazzani | Sawstop | Festool | MiniMax ", every morning I have a page open with the latest posts... don't even have to click anything. Don't know how many folks are like me out there, but if you want to buy one of those items, you have to be first. And probably not live anywhere near Mike Cruz.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028