Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Table Saw Blade Suggestion Request

Another Table Saw Blade Suggestion Request

Sorry for my first post being a question. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but not construction/tools etc... I'm getting ready to start building an aquarium stand and I will be using constructed maple panels to skin the stand with, same as the kitchen cabinets. Basically ogee style flat panel doors.

Anyway, I'm going to be cutting down 1x6 maple boards to get 2-5/8" strips. When testing on some cheap pine boards I noticed my blade has probably had it due to the burn rings on some edges. Looking for possibly 2 blades, one to cut the 1/4 maple ply panels down, and one to cut the 1x6's down leaving a clean edge with no burning.

Can anyone recommend 2 "decent" blades for these purposes? Preferably something available at home depot or lowes. The saw is a "Craftsman Professional 15 amp 10'' Portable Table Saw 21828". Not the best, but it will do for now until I get to my new house.

If possible, I would also like to be able to use the blade for the 1x6's for cutting down 1/4" acrylic sheet. I have a new router table to plane the edges if necessary.

Thanks!

Have an offer for you.

How about 2 free blades if you will review them.

We just started are carrying the Popular Tools brand of saw blades. They have a great name in industry but are largely unknow here. If you will call Emily or Renee at 800 346-8274 we will send you two free blades in exchange for a review. It looks like you need a good rip blade for the 1x6 and a good plywood blade for the panels.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

A burnt blade has discolored steel.

Your blade may just have burnt pitch. etc. on it.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    Have an offer for you.

How about 2 free blades if you will review them.

We just started are carrying the Popular Tools brand of saw blades. They have a great name in industry but are largely unknow here. If you will call Emily or Renee at 800 346-8274 we will send you two free blades in exchange for a review. It looks like you need a good rip blade for the 1x6 and a good plywood blade for the panels.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    That sounds great!

Got a recommendation which blades I should ask for? I know the acrylic will require a higher tooth count tcg blade, if that would rip the 1x6's as well. Maybe the GTL1080? I guess I can get more information from her on the review that will need to be submitted?

The blade in the saw now is a bit discolored, just a cheaper DeWalt blade with several cuts on it.
    Last edited by Dustin Brown; 03-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Burning could also be attributed to the blade not being parallel to the miter track and fence.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The review is whatever you feel like writing. In tools all that really matters is what the user thinks of the tool. This is not a big deal.

We have a combiation 10 x 50 or we can supply three special blades. Depends on whether you want to change blades or not.

Up to you.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Brown View Post
    Sorry for my first post being a question. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but not construction/tools etc... I'm getting ready to start building an aquarium stand and I will be using constructed maple panels to skin the stand with, same as the kitchen cabinets. Basically ogee style flat panel doors.
    Not what you are asking but have you considered building "skin" only stand? No braces in the middle, not corner support to get in the way, etc. If salt water tank, you want to real estate under the tank more then what you need on the top. Here is a picture of the design I've developed to use two layers of 3/4" plywood. Top is also two layers but you can get away with just a rim wide enough to have the rim of the tank to sit straight. Used pocket holes on the hidden inner surfaces of both layers, resulting exceptionally sturdy stand. This was for a 280 gallons salt water tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got thinking about all the folks that have helped us over the years.

I can't afford to give everybody a free saw blade but I can afford 4 more.

If you want a free 10 x 50 Popular Tools saw blade then post here and be one of the first four. Post here before you do anything else, please, so everyone knows where they stand.

Then email sales@carbideprocessors.com or call 800 346-8274. Remember post here first to count as one of the four.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.

Let's see if I am fast enough... Will call now.

I would like to take you up on the blade offer, and in return will provide a review. Thanks.

Paul

I would like to try one Tom, thanks.

Scott

I would love a free blade in exchange for a review!
    Last edited by Adam Gerlach; 03-23-2011 at 1:24 PM.

Thank you folks

That is four plus the original.

My apologies to those of you who called before I could explain it to the reps. I was just sort of winging it here. It soundded like a good idea to give away free saw blades.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.

@Ruhi: I have already made the base structure from 2x4's. I should have enough space with the way I have everything planned out. It is a saltwater reef tank(90g) and I am building a custom sump out of acrylic. All equipment will either be in the sump or mounted on the inside walls. I was looking at my current all-glass brand stand and it is basically constructed from stile and rail panels. I figured the best thing to do would be to skin it in the same type of panels, basically just wrapping it in door panels. I will be constructing the canopy the same way. I'll post a build thread as I get going with some pictures.

@Tom: Thank you very much for the blades! Definitely my surprise of the month, very generous of you. I wish I had known about your company before I bought my woodpecker table. I'm sure it won't be long before I can't live without something else.

Tom, I received the blade you sent. It is an 80-tooth, not a 50-tooth blade. A quick look made it look like a high-quality blade. I didn't take a lot of time to use it yet, but did mount it in my miter saw and made a few test cuts with some maple, pine, and some oak-veneered plywood. All the cuts were extremely smooth and chip free. I look forward to using it on the next project, as I didn't have a dedicated cross-cut blade for my table saw until now. Thanks again for the generous offer.