Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and thanks

Intro and thanks

First off I would like to say how much I appreciate this forum as the best source for all things in woodturning. From artistic turning, to equipment, to good people, this is the place!

I have been a self employed woodworker/carpenter/string instrument repairman since 1978 and even though I had a couple of different lathes, my projects were few and far between. I borrowed some woodturning videos from a friend mainly because I had no TV reception, and was exposed to HSS tools and chucks. I had one of the early blue in color Jet mini lathes that I was using to turn tool handles and soundposts for upright bases and equipped it with a chuck and better gouges. It didn't take long to want a bigger lathe. First a step pulley Rockwell then a Powermatic.

Never in all my past woodworking was the satisfaction of utilizing green, fresh wood like you often can in woodturning. This is some good fun!!

Many thanks to my new friend Dan who took a recent trip up to my shop. We had a great time working up some wood, turning, and Dan also took photos (something else to learn about) of some recent projects and has started to send some to me by email. This first form is about 6 inches tall of carob wood. The finish so far is three coats of Fornby's tung oil finish. Any comments would be appreciated. Please be gentle if you comment on the back drop.....I simply pulled the paper towels down from the over the counter towel bar

P1030592.jpg

Now that piece looks familiar! I see you figured out how to post pics, this is good. I've been cutting up that maple today, getting the boxelder sealed, and a little yardwork. I am sending the rest of the pics tonight. And Hayes is much too modest, he didn't mention spraying the paper towel with gray rattle can primer to provide a graded background, which worked quite well by the way. I didn't notice another hollow form on the window sill casting that shadow on the right either (photos were taken by natural light from a window). My bad. See you at the meeting.

Oh and here is some of the burly boxelder that Hayes kindly sent me home with.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 03-24-2011 at 3:37 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Welcome Hayes! Great intro and great turning!

Blog Entries
    Haha... I think the backdrop worked out quite well, actually
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Welcome Hayes, That is a very nice vase/HF. Is that Cherry? I think you will find it all here.,and everyone is very nice and will help you out whenever you need it.

Welcome to the creek, Hayes!! We got a pretty good "pre-introduction" from Dan, and some nice pics of your shop and wood haulin' trailer! Very nice work on the vase, and I really like the void, and the rim treatment. I am sure you will be favoring us with more of your fine work, and I look forward to it.

7. Welcome to the Creek! Nice project there. Looking forward to your next ones that come along! Nice haul of wood that Dan showed to us before......looks like you won't be lacking for something to make the shavings fly!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Welcome and a great piece! I had never seen Carob before, beautiful wood. Thanks for sharing.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Welcome, I think you will enjoy here a great deal.

Hayes, nice vase. Welcome to the creek. This is the best place for all things woodturning. The people here are great.
    Eugene in NC

Welcome to the Creek Hayes! Always nice to see another Idahoan post! Very nice vase/HF and I think your backdrop worked just fine.

Again....Welcome!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-24-2011 at 9:52 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome, Hayes! The vase is beautiful, so I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the Creek. Really nice piece-thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the Creek, Hayes. That's a really nice HF you have there. No criticism from me...only compliments. And the backdrop, I like that too!!

Hi there Hayes! Keep those pic's coming...looks great from here!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots