Thread: Jet Model JWBS-14CS

Jet Model JWBS-14CS

Hi, I just purchased a used White 14" CS Jet Band Saw for a respectale $225. The previous owner thought the saw was around 6 years old? It does need some TLC. My question is can you tell the age by the serial number? Or any other way? Does anyone have any comments on this particular band saw? I am a newbie with a band saw and can use any helpful hints or ideas on how to really get to know my saw? I plan to do some re-sawing and crafting with it. What blades are the best for the uses I plan to use the saw for? I know this probably isn't the right way to ask, but before purchasing I would appreciate some help. I know you guys have been through this, and I just want to make the right choices and not have to throw away junk I would probably buy because the blade was on sale, or seemed to be a bargain. Any tid bit of information would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the creek. Don't know anything about that particular saw. Mark Duginske's book (recently updated) is a great resource. Try the search function here, as well, as there is a lot of good stuff to be had that way. Van Huskey seems to be a limitless source of information. This post by him should get you started in the right direction: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...bandsaw+blades.

Nelson

Not too much experience with Jet numbers, but most manufacturers list a date code adjacent or below the serial number. Some of them are pretty simple, and others require a magic decoder ring.I'd call Jet Customer Service...they are some pretty good folks, and have helped me out with tech advice.
    Mick

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jeff, any relation to Steve Lautenschlager of Albuquerque/Tijeras NM?
    I worked with Steve for several years. That’s not a name you see very often.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

i have an 18" jet that i got off CL for $40 (not a typo). jet CS was useless in terms of dating the saw, telling me the model numbers didn't correlate to production dates.

I have the same saw, JWBS-14CS, bought it in 2001, paid over $600 , the fence was extra. Nothing startling to say, just that it's been a good saw, pretty much a typical 14" cast iron Delta Clone. I recently bought a riser kit from Woodcraft, haven't set it up yet. I like the colour, dust collection requires custom solutions, set up properly with a good blade your saw should perform
    well. Pretty good price, good luck.
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting

Ken, thankyou I also got the fence with mine. I plan to go to Wood Craft today and probably buy new guide blocks, and a blade or two. Hopefully this weekend I can start cleaning it up. It really isn't in bad shape, however the guy used it for cutting plastic most of it's life. So there are shavings and dust build up etc. Nothing major. I feel alot better about my purchase thanks again.
    Jeff

Nope, sorry.

Strongly encourge you to save your pennies and go for the Carter blade guides.... top notch.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah, the Carter stuff is good , but pricey, I did get a new spring and a simple crank for blade tensioning, which I like , and I have polyurethane tires from Sulfur Tools?, which I haven't installed yet. The old tires aren't really worn out, but people seem to like the polyurethane, so I went for them.
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting