Thread: No more gym guilt

No more gym guilt

With my ever-growing addiction to woodworking, one of the first things to suffer has been my time at the gym. Today I awoke and felt some real tightness in my shoulders and my core. I was thinking, "why the hell do I hurt so badly today?" Then I remembered all that belt sanding I had to do last night. No more gym guilt. Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop.

You should join the neander side. After a few hours of sawing and planing... I found new muscles for sure.

Get rid of all your pencils and tape measures except for one of each and never wear clothes in the shop that have pockets. You will get lots of aerobic exercise (and some primal scream therapy to boot).

that's a good point.. with the amount of belt sanding I did, I probably would not be able to move today had I been hand planing. I'll go neander on an upcoming project. Sounds fun (as well as torturous)

Quote Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
    No more gym guilt. Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop.
    Treadle lathe, spring pole lathe, pedal powered tablesaw (Saint Roy has one), hand powered grinder. Lots of options for cardio in the shop.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Treadle lathe, spring pole lathe, pedal powered tablesaw (Saint Roy has one), hand powered grinder. Lots of options for cardio in the shop.
    Do you know where to get a hand-powered grinder? I would love to have one!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Davis View Post
    Do you know where to get a hand-powered grinder? I would love to have one!
    Not a clue. Folks will tell you that you can find things like that at antique stores, garage sales and flea markets and farm auctions. It may be true, but my guess is everybody unloads things like that during their moving sale before they move here!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop.
    Ha! Nolo problemo...

Just tell your wife you spent the mortage payment on something called Festool...then run like crazy