Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated Shop Tour...

Updated Shop Tour...

Haven't posted a shop tour in a couple of years and I've done several upgrades since then. Thought I'd get some good photos out from several angles and solicit your thoughts...Thanks for looking!!

2011 Shop Photos_0058.jpg

Mobile Chopsaw station, G0555 Ultimate 14" Bandsaw, Festools on a mobile base, Disc Belt Sander Station, with my Carter Bandsaw extension table underneath, lots of flourescents and a couple of 4" Dust Collection Drops...

2011 Shop Photos_0059.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0060.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0061.jpg

Couple of shots from around my bench, 2HP Dust Collection sytem with Wynn Enviornmental Filter Kit and 4" PVC with blast gates, Festool CT36E Vac with Workstation kit and extension hose, Router Table and Mortising Machine on double ended mobile base, Refridgerator (Lost that argument with the wife...)...
    2011 Shop Photos_0062.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0063.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0065.jpg

Wood Storage, Shot of my Table Saw, a Rigid Hybrid (next tool on the upgrade List), 8" Grizzly Jointer, Clamp storage on the slanted wall space under the stairs, cutoff storage below that...Lumber Storage on a custom mobile cart, with sheet goods on the opposing side...shot of my overhead dust collection box fan (2 Bathroom Exhaust Fans and Furnace Filters, built from an old Shop Notes Plan)...

More to follow...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Building a New Shop...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tour. Nice set up. How do you keep the clamps on the slanted wall and make them easy to get down?

2011 Shop Photos_0070.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0068.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0066.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0067.jpg2011 Shop Photos_0069.jpg

Attempts to be organized this year with drawers divided for contents, containers and labels for most everything, magazine storage, etc... Also a shot of the enclosure for my air compressor, a few vent holes drilled for circulation, routed out to the regulator and a 30' retractable hose reel system...

So, I think that's a view of most everything...All the walls and Garage Doors are insulated, I use a propane heat thrower in the winter and a window AC unit with a floor dehumidifier unit in summer to maintain climate. Just added the window panels to the garage doors to bring in some more natural light. This year I'm looking to upgrad my Rigid TS and hopefully epoxy coat the floor, but not looking forward to moving out all my tools into the driveway to do it.

Oh yeah, forgot to make sure you catch the 27" HD Flatscreen and surround sound...gotta be able to play the Christopher Schwartz videos in surround (or the golf channel)!

Hope you all enjoyed the tour.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Jackson; 03-24-2011 at 8:55 PM.
    Building a New Shop...

Blog Entries
    Chris,

Really very nice shop.

May copy your idea with the sandpaper disc storage for my shop.

PHM

Very nice.

Organized sand paper.... hope the wife doesn't see this. She'd leave me
    and become your groupie.

Blog Entries
    Great looking space to work in. Very cool idea on using that space under the stairs. Thanks for the tour. I always enjoy seeing how others do things. It never fails to inspire me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great space. I always enjoy seeing how other use their space.

-Gary

You have a good festool collection going on there and the organization is great.

I like that slim cabinet between garage doors, that's something I would think of... heh

Thanks for the tour. The shop looks great. I'm very interested in your DC set up. What size Unit are you using? Is that 6" thin wall pvc? I note the trash can separator in front of your DC. How do you go about taking the can down when you need to empty it? How satisified are you with this set up? I just recently finished my Thien Top-Hat separator on an old 2 HP Grizzly. I'm thinking of clustering the tools around the DC in the center of the shop to minimize the long duct runs. I'd be very interested to hear your experience\satisfaction with this set up.

Nice, neat shop.
    Why didn't you paint all the walls white making it brighter?
    Surprised the Jet DC can handle all that pipe. How effective is the DC system?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Thanks for the tour. The shop looks great. I'm very interested in your DC set up. What size Unit are you using? Is that 6" thin wall pvc? I note the trash can separator in front of your DC. How do you go about taking the can down when you need to empty it? How satisified are you with this set up? I just recently finished my Thien Top-Hat separator on an old 2 HP Grizzly. I'm thinking of clustering the tools around the DC in the center of the shop to minimize the long duct runs. I'd be very interested to hear your experience\satisfaction with this set up.
    Joe...I use 4" PVC for 2 reasons, one is cost, and 2 is I like the trash can separator (it is inexpensive and effective) and they simply do not make one with 6" ports...for the size and number of machines I've got the 300 CFM or so max flow that I get out of the 4" is fine. I augment the setup with the ceiling mounted filter box to catch what little does go airborne. As far as the can, it's only 4 feet or so off the floor, I use a small step stool to empty it, and it allows for adequate floor space underneath for my rolling tool chest. The setup works very well...I may hardpipe more of the feed from my DC to the trash can cyclone, which is currently hooked up with flex hose, the change to PVC should reduce some friction in those areas and bump up flow a little bit.

By the way the DC is a 2 HP Shop Fox with a Wynn Enviornmental filter kit.

Chris
    Building a New Shop...

Always great to see how people utilize their space. Thanks for the tour!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I sure like the lay out, I sure would like to have that much room in my shop.

Something you can do to you sanding disk, cut a piece of 3/4" MDF and put on top of each stack, it keeps them nice and flat.

Chris,

Do you mind sharing some details about your table saw's outfeed table? I have the 3650 with support rails (3/4" x ~2"-3" scrap hardwood long enough to extend past the saw table by about 2') bolted to the side of the frame just under the wings. The supports have MDF sheeting bolted to them to hold the MDF up flush with the table top. It works great, but it suffers from the "motor bumps the support rail" syndrome when trying to tilt the blade to 45 degrees. I've considered building a free standing table to eliminate that problem, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of room to store the pile of lumber that my current outfeed table extends over...I'd have to move that lumber pile elsewhere before I could use a free standing table.

Thanks,
    Charlie

Chris, great shop. What I really appreciate is that there isn't a free spot available in the entire shop! You've really utilized every nook and cranny.
    I drink, therefore I am.