Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router table built in TS?

Router table built in TS?

I have seen the router tables you can attach to your table saw to save space in the shop and I like the cast iron ones but they are $300 more than what I want to spend. I have a Unisaw with 52" fence. It has the wooden table extension on the side. Has anyone ever built their router table into this section on their saw? I was thinking about doing this and using an attachment for my unifence to make a router fence.

If anyone has done this, can you show me a picture and tell me if there were any problems you ran into?

The only thing I can think of is to make sure I build it facing the right side so I can stand in front of the table instead of reaching across with the workpiece.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Joe -

It's a pretty common move to put a router table in the TS extension table. Do a search for 'extension router table' and there are a few good threads, with some good pics. I think one common 'issue' (minor) is that if you use the TS fence as the router fence, when routining you might need to move it back to the saw for a "quick cut" and then have to reposition it back on the router. Another issue is that of sagging - the router and insert (if you use one) can be pretty heavy so make sure you reinforce the table, especially right around the area where the router will sit. I made an extension table for my TS and purpose-built a boxed in frame where I wanted the router to go. Works like a charm.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Joe - I've never had a 52" rip capacity on any of my saws, but I've built several router tables in the right extension table. It's not a difficult project and will pay dividends.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks John and Scott. John, i also thought about the sagging after I posted last night and was looking today at some bracing points to help with that. Not to worried about going from the table saw to the router. Usually I cut all my pieces before going to the router table. I try and plan to where there's no going back and forth.

Scott, those are some slick setups. After seeing those, i do believe that's the route (no pun intended) that I am going. Thank you for the pictures. Really makes me want to go this way.

Here is a picture of mine. I made a frame and sandwiched it in between a piece of mdf on top and birch plywood on bottom. I also have 52 in rails on my jet and I moved them down to increase my cross cut capacity for when I need to cross cut some plywood.

I made my own fence and covered it all in formica. I fastened it to the saw table with some heavy steel at one end and used the legs of the old extension table that the saw came with.

I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.ph...hmentid=171704

That is what I did, I love it. Great dust collection too.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Keith and John, those look great. Keith, I really like the shop built fence on yours. Especially going through the effort of making slots for the tools. And John, I also like the pictures of your shop. Very good use of space. Did you just make a box for the bottom to go around the router?

P2260455.jpgP2260453.jpgP2260452.jpgHere is what I did. Also shows the below table dust collection.
    P2260454.jpg

One of the nicest ones I've ever seen: http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/extensionTable.html

I do wish he'd finish the writeup, he says all the dust collection is in place and he's modified the Incra fence with two fences, I'd love to see how he did that.

Joe this is what I did with my 52" unifence. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ion&highlight= The one modification I am going to make is to build a box that goes over my unifence so I can slide it over and use it as a router fence for the quick stuff. Getting the incra out isn't a big deal but sliding the unifence over for a round over bit on a couple small pieces would be faster and easier still.

Kevin, I really like that setup. I like the mitered corners on the outside instead of square. Easier for me not to hit my leg on while walking around it in a tight space I have.

Gerald, I saw that post a long time ago and that's what got me originally thinking about this and I couldn't find it. Kudos to you for showing me that again. I bought an Incra miter guage a few months ago and would love to have that Incra setup that guy has.

Keith, if my saw didn't have the mobile base and I had room to leave it up I would love to do what you did with yours. I have seen yours before and that is one nice piece of craftsmanship and would serve me so much use with all the storage, but my saw ends up against the wall in a corner when I am not using it so I can have room. And with the foot lever for my mobile base, I can't build a cabinet into it because it takes up half the room when it swivels around. And I do have an idea for a box to go over my unifence as well so I can just slide it back and forth. I don't do much table routing, so I don't have to have a nice fence setup. Although I have become a fan of incra and wouldn't mind having a nice fence setup as well.

Just got mine put in today

Got the Sawstop Professional day before yesterday and got it all assembled and in the mobile base yesterday. Today I put in a Woodpeckers lift and T-track for a router fence. I also reinforced the table which IMHP was the ONLY place where Sawstop cut corners to save money. I've made a downdraft dust collection box for the router which I will install tomorrow. I had a router on the right extension table of my previous Jet Xacta which I used for 8 years. Couldn't have done without it. I just don't have room for a dedicated router table in my shop.
    Sawstop with router lift and T-track installed.jpg

Great thread! I've been planning on doing this myself, this post has given me some good ideas. Thanks to those that have posted their examples.

Joe, one way to solve the mobile base issue is to build your own. Not many people have the luxury of tube steel and welding equipment though so that might not always be an option. What about modifying your current mobile base. One way to get around the one pedal swinging thing is to add swivel casters to your mobile base. All of my mobile bases have swivel casters on them now. This way you can move the saw around in straight lines or at an angle. It sounds like your saw must have the T-shaped mobile base underneath the side table? I would bet you could beef this up a little and add some swivel casters to it just to make it easier to move around no matter what you do. I hate to say it but harbor freight sells pretty decent casters for cheap and they get the job done. Why don't you post some photos of your current setup so that people can get a better idea of what you have to work with. As far as the incra goes I really do like it but I am really looking forward to having an auxiliary fence for my unifence for routing and think it is a pretty good way to go.

SAM_0448 (Large).JPGSAM_0449 (Large).JPGSAM_0450 (Large).JPGSAM_0447 (Large).JPGDennis, that is very slick looking. And I don't have the room either which is why I am looking at doing this. Thanks for that picture as well.

Keith, here are some pictures of my mobile base and saw. Do not pay any attention to all of the sawdust and trash...and the rust on the cast... Spring cleaning has killed my shop, as it is a catch all for everything at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Shinall; 03-26-2011 at 8:51 PM.