Thread: Need to glue a Marble plaque to a mirror

Need to glue a Marble plaque to a mirror

We have a Mirror that a client wants a piece of black marble mounted onto.

The black marble has an unfinished back (side that will face the mirror).
    What would be a good adheasive to use to hold the marble to to the mirror?

Thanks,
    David
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

David:
    I would suggest a two part epoxy or possibly a cyanoacrylate (super glue type). I bought some stuff not long ago called Rhino Glue. Man, that stuff is super glue on steroids. I even glued some aluminum window screens to aluminum window frames with it and they sure don't come out now. It will stick to most anything. Buy it online, just do a search.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

While I have never done this, I would try silicone. Works really good on glass, not sure on marble.

I would go with Ron's suggestion as the silicone works well for marble. I'm not sure about adhering to the slick surface of a mirror though, but you may have the same issue with epoxies as there is just nothing there for the adhesive to "grab". Avoid anything like Liquid Nails, or any adhesive containing petroleum as this will bleed into the marble and cause discoloration.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

There is an extremely strong mirror cement available at HD and Lowe's. I would use that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    There is an extremely strong mirror cement available at HD and Lowe's. I would use that.
    That mastic has to be used with mechanical fasteners. It is made to glue mirror from the back to sheetrock walls. I don't think I would risk it with marble attached to the slick front side of the mirror. Might work, but it might not and the marble would fall off. How about a stone adhesive that is made to glue stone to other polished stone?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

As said by others, Silicone... I would use the clear GE aquarium silicone for anything that might expand at different rates at different temperatures. If the two pieces are firmly glued with epoxy or some other product with no 'give', one of them will eventually break, and it will probably be the mirror. I say the aquarium silicone, because its probably a better quality that the caulking type, and will grip to glass.. Hey it holds aquariums full of water together!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    As said by others, Silicone... I would use the clear GE aquarium silicone for anything that might expand at different rates at different temperatures. If the two pieces are firmly glued with epoxy or some other product with no 'give', one of them will eventually break, and it will probably be the mirror. I say the aquarium silicone, because its probably a better quality that the caulking type, and will grip to glass.. Hey it holds aquariums full of water together!
    Agreed, sounds like the right answer. However, I thought most aquariums were acrylic and they use solvents to glue them.

The big aquariums are glass, dont ask me how I know ;-)
    Benjiman

ULS-
    25E Universal Laser
    USCutter MC-721
    5x10 CNC Plasma Table
    Corel X3
    Photoshop CS2
    Bobcad V23, Bobart, Bobnest, Mach3

I Install counter tops I will suggest silicone aquarium type or kitchen type I use it for shower glass enclosures works well on glass marble or any other stone surface. Liquid nails with petroleum or oil base as mention by Belinda will bleed the oil contents on the stone leaving a darker surface were the glue was aplied. Epoxis are good for stone stone surface for glass works to, if the glass surface to be glue is etched first.

Go to a True Value hardware store and look for or ask for E6000 or E6100. You can't beat it. I researched it before I made several 1000 expanded PVC boards with Granite, Slate, Ceramic, Grout pucks, and other assorted stones. It takes some time to set but it is WELL WORTH IT. My customer called me a few weeks after they got their 1st batch and said that the pieces were falling off. I asked them to send me the pieces and I will look into it. A few hours later she calls me back and said she was sorry to bother me but it wasn't the glue letting go, it was the slate that the had chosen delaminating because the adhesive was so good that it held the parts on it even when being bent but the cheap slate couldn't handle it. So I strongly suggest it. One is self leveling and the other is called something else. I am at home now so I will check on Monday if you need more info.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I work another job in the marine ind. And we use Sika. It's a urethane.. Fiberglas to work. Work to plastic. Sometimes depending on the application you have to add a primer. Also Bostic make another great product too.
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Trotec Speedy 360 80 watts, Corel x8, AI, PhotoShop CS8
    Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)
    Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt (leaving soon)