Thread: Introduction

Introduction

As a new member to the forum, I wanted to post to Introduce myself. I am a hobbyist, who is just getting back into woodworking, after a 5 year hiatus. I had built a basement shop in our old house, and dabbled in woodworking for a couple years, but then we moved. I am just a beginner, and have no where near the skills of many of you.

When we moved I sold many of my tools. I sold them for several reasons:

1. I knew it would be some time before setting up a shop
    2. I had all smaller tools such as: 110v contractor saw, table top drill press etc. AND I knew I was going to want bigger when I did set up again.
    3. Didn't want to move things, that I knew where just going to sit for some time.

Well 5 years later I finally go around to setting up another basement shop. Although I would prefer not to be in the basement, it is my only option. I hired an electrician, and put in a sub panel. Currently I have allowed for 4 220v outlets.

Now it is time for some tool collecting (which as many of you may know it almost if not more fun that woodworking).

- I have ordered the Sawstop professional 3hp model, to take advantage of the overarm dust collection rebate that expires soon. Just waiting for it to arrive at the local woodcraft.
    - I also took advantage of a sale at woodcraft a couple of weeks ago, and picked up the Delta 18-900l drill press for $705
    - For a band saw I am considering the Grizzly G0513x2b or G0514x2. If I can just figure out how to get them through my house and down my finished basement stairs.
    - I still have my 6" Jet Jointer, and my 13" Delta 22-580 planer. Though would love to have a 12" combo machine, but can't even think about how even movers would get that into a finished basement.
    - I am still undecided on dust collection. I am intrigued by the new Oneida 3hp smart system, but can't believe to price tag. Anybody have one of those? I have read about the clearvue systems, but do not really want to go that route.

Well that is my brief story in a nutshell. I want to thank everyone all of the info I have gleamed from previous threads. The search function has been great!! I hope to be able to contribute more at some point too.

Joe

Welcome, Joe. You're off to a great start equipment-wise. We all look forward to seeing your projects and LOVE pictures.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rivest View Post
    If I can just figure out how to get them through my house and down my finished basement stairs.
    You mean besides cutting a HUGE hole in the floor and lowering the equipment down

Sounds like you already have some nice equipment ordered. I suspect that much of it will be difficult to get down the stairs. It was very difficult to get my table saw down the stairs and I don't have a finished basement.

Hire a "safe" mover. They have specialized equipment and exerience moving heavy stuff down the stairs!

Welcome Brother.

Buy what you want an worry about getting it in the house later. My kind of man.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Welcome. You might consider a used Inca jointer/planer if you can find one. It's only 10-1/4" wide, but is easily moved down a cellar stairs since it only weighs about 75 lbs. Don't let the low weight put you off by thinking it is a toy. I've had one for about 25 years and have jointed and planed 1000's of BF with it, with narry a problem. Something to consider if you want a combo machine that will easily go down your stairs. Good luck setting up shop.

Joe

Welcome. Nothing like hiring a couple of guys (or strong friends with good backs)
    to carry stuff down to a basement shop. I had a cheap mover move a sander
    that I scored off of Craigs list. After they moved that, I got their personal phone numbers,
    and I have called them a couple of times to move equipment and some wood to my basement.
    Best money I have ever spent.
    Before I found them, I moved a MiniMax J/P to my basement by bribing my son's friends.
    That was a little scary, and was the impetus for finding the mover guys.
    Remember, most equipment either comes in parts, or can be broken down some to move
    to the shop. Where there is a will..............

John

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Joe, welcome to SMC! It sounds like you are setting up a nice shop. I wish I had 4 220v outlets in my shop. Heck, I wish I had enough juice to power 4 220v outlets!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome! Basement steps are just an opportunity for creative thinking... Since you have a Woodcraft you live in an area large enough that there will be tons of movers that can get anything into the basement that will fit through the door frame.

BTW I have a bandsaw fetish so take this with a grain of salt...

You picked a top of the line table saw and drill press and though the Grizzly's are excellent saws for the money consider something Italian when buying the most versatile machine in your shop... think Minimax, Laguna or Agazzani...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    You picked a top of the line table saw and drill press and though the Grizzly's are excellent saws for the money consider something Italian when buying the most versatile machine in your shop... think Minimax, Laguna or Agazzani...
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I talked to a guy at woodcraft, and he said it was not hard to get his sawstop in the basement with two people. When it does come to the bandsaw, I have plans to hire professional movers. I have drooled over the mini max, but the even heavier weight, and more than double the price of the G0514x2 has scared me off. I currently have a 10% Grizzly coupon, and am waiting until sometime in April to make my final decision. I will defiantly look closer at the Italian bandsaws though. (I had discounted Laguna due to the CS stories I had read on here though).

Since you guys like pictures, I will see if I can dig up some pictures of some of my past projects.

I have tended to do straight line type work, such as craftsmen style. Not only do I like the style, it has been easier for me as a beginner. This first picture is one of my first projects. It was made in my old shop. The plan was from an old woodsmith magazine. In retrospect I wish I had used QS white oak, but being one of my first projects I was reluctant to spend that type of money yet.

Jan2004 020.jpg

One of my other hobbies is brewing my own beer. Last summer I worked in the garage, with a portable Bosch TS and made a kegerator to hold my home brewed beer. I made this out of cherry with a copper veneer back-splash. Inside is a chest freezer with a temperature controller. This really inspired me to get my butt in gear and start my shop.

IMG_3703.JPG

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Joe, both pieces are nice but your kegerator is awesome. I hear ya on the QS white oak - my current project is QS white oak. I don't know where you're at but it can't be any more expensive than New Mexico!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Joe, both pieces are nice but your kegerator is awesome. I hear ya on the QS white oak - my current project is QS white oak. I don't know where you're at but it can't be any more expensive than New Mexico!
    Thanks. The people on my homebrew forum really liked it too. I am in Southeastern Wisconsin, so I am sure my pricing is better than NM. Currently it looks like 4/4 QS white oak is $5.85/bf here., but the red oak is less than half that at $2.50/bf.

I had taken a class at the American Sycamore Retreat some time ago. Looks like they are now closed. I made a mission dresser that is 95% done out of QS white oak. I am hoping to put the final touches and finishing on it once my shop is done.