Thread: My first pillowed butterfly.

My first pillowed butterfly.

This end grain walnut butterfly is one of two the comes through the walnut sitting bench top I’m currently making. The bench still needs final planing, sanding an oiling but I wanted to post a sneak peek.

DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I forgot to mention that this butterfly is actually an element of Kintaro Yazawa inspired joinery. This is my first time experimenting with this joinery technique and I can see myself using it on more projects.

Last edited by Dale Osowski; 03-26-2011 at 4:44 PM.

I like it. As for the craftsmanship it is impeccable. It appears to just be a piece of wood sitting on the bench! It appears from the picture of the tenons the butterflies are different sizes which I also really like.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks Van! Yes the butterflies are different sizes, also located on opposite tenons on a bit of a skew. I figure this gives the impression of the young butterfly following it's parent. I'll post a photo of the completed bench in a week or so. I also used a regular inlaid butterfly to stabilize a small crack on one of the legs:

Awesome!!! I have been contemplating trying this on some benches. I have been trying to perfect my handwork lately with files and carving tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    Thanks Van! Yes the butterflies are different sizes, also located on opposite tenons on a bit of a skew. I figure this gives the impression of the young butterfly following it's parent. I'll post a photo of the completed bench in a week or so. I also used a regular inlaid butterfly to stabilize a small crack on one of the legs:

When one does Asian inspired work the natural world should be in the fore front of ones design, it is quite obvious that was very true in this case. It doesn't matter that an individual viewing it doesn't see "the story" you actually had in mind as they can't help but feel the idea even if it isn't conscience thought. It is unlikely if I saw the finished piece I would think "parent and child" but almost certainly would feel the presence of nature flowing from the bench. Again great work.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks again Van. I have two more similar benches to build, one is maple. Rather than using the butterflies again I may go with maple leaves. Still giving some thought to this.