Thread: Cleaning and Greasing Delrin Gears

Cleaning and Greasing Delrin Gears

What solvents are OK to use on Delrin or similar UHMW plastic gears to remove lubricant? I assume the lubricant is something like Lubriplate or similar. And after I get them clean, what grease types are OK? I want to clean/relube the planetary gears on my Inca planer and can't afford to do something stupid. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What solvents are OK to use on Delrin or similar UHMW plastic gears to remove lubricant? I assume the lubricant is something like Lubriplate or similar. And after I get them clean, what grease types are OK? I want to clean/relube the planetary gears on my Inca planer and can't afford to do something stupid. Thanks in advance.
    INCA recommended lithium grease but there might be something better that doesn't collect dust. From the manual, http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cB6NTQc...ubrication.pdf

Thanks, but my machine is a little different and has a planetary gear system. My question relates to cleaning/relubing the Delrin gears. See photo below.

IMG_6057.JPG

Clean Delrin with plain old mineral spirits if you want, or even a blast of WD40 and a bit of elbow grease. Delrin and Acetal are pretty darn inert and will not be easily harmed by solvents. If it was mine I would just scrub out the old stuff with a toothbrush, wipe the rest as best as possible, and re lube.

Gotta' agree with Steve on this one.

If it were me ... toothbrush AND WD-40 is the way I'd approach it.

And I would probably agree with Chris, and use the white lithium grease -- probably stick applicator, if I had it.

My second choice would be a teflon lube, like "Super Lube" or TriFlow.

I stand corrected !

Okay. I dug in a little.

I'm just going to have to go ahead and disagree with myself (I know).

It seems Delrin is considered "self-lubricating:"

The coefficient of friction of DelrinŽ is equal, or less, than its coefficient of dynamic friction, thereby ensuring zero stick-slip. DelrinŽ is self-lubricating and is ideal for medium speed-light load applications. It is also ideally suited to linear applications. DelrinŽ is FDA approved for food and dairy applications. It is available with a Teflon additive (AF), giving it a lower coefficient of friction. AF performance has approximately twice the speed of the comparable DelrinŽ.
    From HERE.

Doubt you'd hurt it, either way, but .... I would probably leave it clean and dry

Blog Entries
    Yeah, self-lubricating to a degree, but I would add in some Teflon spray to keep things clean and smooth.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the feedback, all. The owner's manual says to lube them regularly, at least once a year, but makes no mention of what type of lube to use. I've only done it maybe twice (using white Lubriplate) in the 25 years I've owned the machine, and I've run a lot of wood through it. The gears look fine, so that supports the argument that lube is unnecessary. But I think I'll clean them, as suggested, with a toothbrush and a little mineral spirits and let them dry. Tomorrow I'm going to see what lube options I find at a couple of stores, and then I'll apply a little and check them in a month or so. I think the biggest offense would be to add anything that collects dust and dirt, so something like Teflon spray makes a lot of sense. Thanks again for the input. Always appreciated.