Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could this be a "Hint"

The Jet 1642EVS 2hp 220 is the same as the PM when it comes to power and capacity. My mentor has the PM and we spent 4 hour on a Saturday reviewing tech specs and making calls all to find out they are the almost same except for color and price.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-26-2011 at 5:30 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have a 1.5 HP JET 1642 and am really happy with it, however, I've been lusting for a PM Mustard Monster. My wife said if I pick up the PM the first thing I should turn would be a funeral urn.

"Well I think I will go back in the house now." actually translate to: "Uh oh. I either just got set up or I stepped into something soft. So instead of giving him the impression that I support him buying a bigger and more expensive lathe in order to make the bigger bowls that I thought he could simply make on the lathe he already owns, I think I should go back in the house before this leads to something I will regret".

+ 1 more on get the buy in, and throw in "everybody knows it will be more stable and therefore safer!"

Donny, it sounds like mom wants to be a part of your life of woodturning..... probably since she doesn't see you much any more. You should chat with her about it, and then order the Jet 1642-2 EVS. I just got a Powermatic 3520, and the EVS is the cat's meow. The 20" swing and 630 pounds of mass is also a big benefit over the Jet 16". But in retrospect, I would probably have been nearly as happy with the 220v Jet 2HP. EVS is the way to go... and the Jet is a lot of lathe for $1500 less than the Powermatic

Blog Entries
    donny, i would have told my wife to start taking orders and i would find a way to make bigger powermatic bowls. ed

the way women are you either just got permission to buy a bigger lathe NOW .................... or.............................. you just got informed that bigger bowls aren't all that important

woe unto you if you interpret that the wrong way

on the other hand it is definitely easier to get forgiveness than permission soooooooooooooooooo............................... .............. you make the call

One time the wife said, "Fine, just go buy a motorcycle." Apparently I missed the sarcasm (), because I bought one the next day and she has not let me forget it the past 5 years.
    You decide if it was a hint or not....

Blog Entries
    Go for the GOLD, the Powermatic 3520B GOLD that is.

Best bang for your buck, and a very Nice lathe. Sliding head is very nice the digital rpm readout and reverse, it's just an overall Good Value still. Get the 18" bed and the remote on/off switch while your talking to Sean at ToolNut.

You won't need to upgrade after getting it, unless you WANT to. Or you turn Pro turning 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week, even then, the Gold 3520B could handle it as good as any other lathe.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Show her a robust. Then tell her how you could make do with a 3520.
    Dennis

When I upgraded to my PM years ago, it paid for itself 3 times the first year I had it. I was already at the local Saturday Market, selling custom made footbags (aka hacky sacks which is a registered trade mark, and foot bag is the generic name for the sport, but that is another story). The money covered all the extra toys I needed to go with the bigger lathe.

robo hippy