Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you sense when a tool purchase might not have been worth the investment?

How do you sense when a tool purchase might not have been worth the investment?

My biscuit joiner had a couple of hours out of the box within the first day after I brought it home. I recall joining all manner of scraps to other scraps and then I put it back in the box to await a project to biscuit join.

I can't even recall how many years have passed since those first trial biscuits, but this morning, I decided to start thinking about gluing up a new top for my workbench and it occurred to me that the biscuit joiner might be an option to consider.

While browsing for information on biscuit joiners to refresh my memory on how and where to use them, I stumbled upon several references to problems getting the P-C 557 to register. Upon further reading I discovered that the problem apparently came about because of a patent dispute and P-C had to change the fence from the original Type I setup and Type 2 was the response to the patent case. Problem was that the Type 2 change made the tool less than accurate for some rarely used joints. I didn't recall the "Type" of my biscuit joiner (the problem was apparently fixed for Type 3 and beyond), but since I was on the web site, I read about a fix for the Type 2 registering problem.

It took a while to finally track down down the shim fix, but I did and with that information in hand, I set out to determine whether my biscuit joiner was Type 2 or either the earlier or later models without the registering problem.

Out to the shop and up the attic stairs I went to retrieve my joiner. As it turned out, it wasn't a type 1,2, 3 or 4. If fact, it is a Dewalt 682K. Not remembering what you bought seems to break new ground for minimal useage.

When I can't remember the brand of it.

My PC is a Dewalt too

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    My PC is a Dewalt too
    I don't remember what brand mine is... or do I even have on?

Funny I recall using mine, but darned if I can recall what the project was.

I don't know how I'd get along without my bisquit joiner. I've made dozens of kitchen type cabinets with it, and all manner of other joints. For joining plywood, partical board, etc. type boxes it's the go to tool.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I don't know how I'd get along without my bisquit joiner. I've made dozens of kitchen type cabinets with it, and all manner of other joints. For joining plywood, partical board, etc. type boxes it's the go to tool.
    What he said.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Not remembering what you bought seems to break new ground for minimal useage.
    We have a winner
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How about buying a tool, fast forward 6 or 8 years and buy another one (forgot about the first purchase) Go to put it away in the tool chest only to find the first one. :-)
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    How about buying a tool, fast forward 6 or 8 years and buy another one (forgot about the first purchase) Go to put it away in the tool chest only to find the first one. :-)
    That never ever happens...and if my wife says otherwise, who you gonna believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    But, but...I'm not THAAT BAAAD yet! Seriously! ...I'm Not!

To OP Bob, I call the fact that you have a DeWalt rather than a troublesome Porter Cable -- "Beginner's Luck!" Either that....or, Murphy took the day off!

I picked up a used DeWalt biscuit jointer off eBay and I love it. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. IF you do any manner of cabinetry, I have no doubt you will find a good use for it.

Last time I used mine, I joined corners and partitions of a 3/4" plywood carcass that is to be a drawer bank beneath my table saw extension table. Other than for that purpose, I use my BJ mostly for registering faceframes on cabinetry.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-26-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

It would seem that you have found an ROI threshold and then some. Your story will keep accounts up at night!

some tools are easy to misplaced, I am the proud owner of 5 tubing cutters and probably will hide them before I need them

I used my biscuit joiner for all sorts of things as well. But have never used it to make panels like Norm did. It really comes in handy for all sorts of odd joints.

I bought one of those roto zip things years ago because it was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they came out. It sat and collected dust for years. I finally went out to the shop to retrieve it for some dry wall cutting a couple months back. After looking and cursing for a good half hour I realized I sold it at a garage sale for a couple of bucks about 2 years ago.

When I come upon a tool 4-5 years after I bought it and the zip ties are still on the cord...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.