Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black on Black

Smile Black on Black

Maple hollow form, 6 ¾” high to top of finial x 6 ¾” diameter x a hair over 1/16” thick. Sanded to 400 grit, dyed black and has many coats of gloss wipe-on poly. The finial and lid were also turned out of Maple and dyed to match the HF. After waiting a few weeks for the finish to dry, it was buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Black on Black v1.jpg Black on Black v2.jpg Black on Black v3.jpg Black on Black v4.jpg

I initially thought the piece reminded me of obsidian but the more I look at it, the more I think it resembles smoky quartz. This one is going to a gallery show in May – so if you can think of a good ‘artful’ name for it, I would really appreciate your input!

As always – your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

"Stealth"

This is one wicked looking piece of woodwork!
    David DeCristoforo

Steve, the finial on this one is perfect for the form!! Great proportions. This one finished up nicely, and I like the smokey look better than black. Smokey quartz is referred to as Smokey Topaz - not very original, but fitting. The color is dead on the color of these earings.

4. Great form Steve, and IMO it has a lot of understated elegance............the finial reminds me of the lance finial on another piece you did..........."Knight?" something or other,...........

Great finish on this.........the deep reflective qualities give it a depth of field that makes one take more than a cursory glance at this form.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I not only like the color .. but the finial really sets it off.

Very nice.

Hi Steve - I like this one a lot. Almost a cool volcanic / cinder coloration. Naming things is not my area - good luck. (First thought was "bare diamond" for coal but I don't like that anymore).

JP

That is wonderful, Steve!
    You keep getting better and better!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

That finish is something else. Do you really "wipe on" the poly, or do you apply it while the piece is still on the lathe?

That's a striking piece! When I look at the profile, I feel like I'm looking down on a stingray, so 'Stingray' would be my artsy title.

I really like the color differential between the heartwood/sapwood, and the finish is fantastic.

"Smoke Contained". Very nice Steve. I really admire your abilityto get such a nice finish on ALL of your projects. Guess I need to try WOP again.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Steve, whatever you name it someone will be hollering "MINE" quickly after being unveiled. I dont have any new adjectives to add to my standard beautiful piece, etc. Question: Why are you turning the last few so thin?
    Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Seriously appreciate it!

Robert - I sand on the lathe but all my finishing is done off-lathe. The finish is wiped on using a folded paper towel using a sort of French Polish technique. Basically where you use very light coats of the finish and build up to the level of gloss that you want over time. The real trick is to wipe it on quickly and not go back to retouch an area you may have missed. You have to wait until everything dries and just get the missed area the next time around. If you try to touch it up - the thin coat of finish that was on there will already have started setting up and you will pull part of it up with the paper towel. Makes a mess and you end up sanding the area and starting over. Yup - only have to do that a few times and you learn that one!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    That's a striking piece! When I look at the profile, I feel like I'm looking down on a stingray, so 'Stingray' would be my artsy title.

I really like the color differential between the heartwood/sapwood, and the finish is fantastic.
    I second the stringray idea, looks just like one. Excellent form by the way Steve.

Steve
    what about Passion.

[QUOTE=Michael James;1669883Question: Why are you turning the last few so thin?[/QUOTE]

Good question and I don't have a set answer to it. I have a show coming up in May and the gallery asked me for an additional 10 hollow forms - they already have 5. I turned those over the past month and wanted a variety of forms, weights and colors to present to the gallery for consideration. Some forms - were intentional turned so that the weight matches what you would expect when picking it up. Others were turned small and delicate and on those forms the weight is minimal. To me, it's all about balance and trying to anticipate what the person viewing the piece would expect if they picked it up.
    Steve