Thread: Little Routers

Little Routers

Anyone have one of the new little plunge routers from DeWalt or PC? How well do you like them?

Dar

Worthy of a shot.

Yesterday at the Woodworking Show, I handled a DeWalt plunge base model. To say there was SLOP in the plunge would be an UNDERSTATEMENT! I thought I wanted one, but no more

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Yesterday at the Woodworking Show, I handled a DeWalt plunge base model. To say there was SLOP in the plunge would be an UNDERSTATEMENT! I thought I wanted one, but no more
    What type of slop was there, I don't see any slop in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar Lounsbury View Post
    Anyone have one of the new little plunge routers from DeWalt or PC? How well do you like them?

Dar
    I really like mine, I think its a great little router, I have used it on a few projects and it has work out very well on every one of them.
    Here is a write up I did when I first got it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=Dewalt%27s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I really like mine, I think its a great little router, I have used it on a few projects and it has work out very well on every one of them.
    Here is a write up I did when I first got it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=Dewalt%27s
    +1 on the DW with plunge base. I've not seen any slop in mine. I had the Bosch Colt and bought the DW based on Bill's review and have not regretted the purchase.

I picked up the Dewalt about a month ago. I haven't used it extensively yet, but so far really I like it. I needed a small router for times when I didn't need the size/weight of my big router and this seems to fill that need perfectly. I wish it could take 1/2 inch shank bits as that's what most of my router bits are and now I find myself buying duplicates for the small router (guess not a bad thing in the end).

I have had my DeWalt for about a month and have used it to learn how to do inlay work. It is a great addition to my workshop. I did not have any slop.

Price on Amazon on the DW plunge kit has been falling as well - if you watch the price you can get it around $170-$175.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    What type of slop was there, I don't see any slop in mine.
    The one I handled could be used as a mini domino. The plunge bushings were a terrible fit, way oversized for plunge rods.

I played with one of the DeWalts when they came out. Just a little too big for my stubby little fingers. I'll stick with my PC 310...sure would like to find/make a plunge base for that one.
    Mick

12. Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    I played with one of the DeWalts when they came out. Just a little too big for my stubby little fingers. I'll stick with my PC 310...sure would like to find/make a plunge base for that one.
    Have you seen the plunge base that Micro Fence sells for a PC310? Pricey but flawlessly built.
    Steven

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Are you talking about the DW611? They are pretty small. I have small hands (not stubby fingers, though ) and it's easy for me to handle.

Any thoughts on the small festool router?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven J Corpstein View Post
    Have you seen the plunge base that Micro Fence sells for a PC310? Pricey but flawlessly built.
    No I haven't...but I will definitely be looking, thanks Steven!
    Wow just looked, pricey indeed! It is sort of cool though. lights, bells and whistles!
    Last edited by mickey cassiba; 03-30-2011 at 7:37 PM. Reason: Add'l info
    Mick