Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Segmented Bowl

First Segmented Bowl

hello all,
    I tried my hand at segmenting and this is what I ended up with. Pretty simple, I know. But that was intentional, I just wanted try to learn a few things. Boy did I ever! My goal was to use only what I had in my modest beginner shop. So after a few homemade jigs/fixtures, I was able to get it put together.

I had a great time doing this, and I have a feeling this won't be my last segmented turning. I got into woodworking about 1 year ago, and shortly after was swept up by the turning vortex, but not before I'd acquired some general tools that I wanted to learn. Determined to learn some skills on these other tools, I figured segmenting was a good way expand my horizons (and answer the constant question from the living room of "what are all those OTHER tools for??") . So I was able to use my jointer, planer, table saw, sanding tools, etc.

With the kiddos, school and work, I only get to work in short bursts anyway, so the segmenting kind of fit in rather well, since there seems to be small steps with waiting in between anyway.

Stats:
    Maple and mystery wood, both scrap woods from my dad, so he gets this bowl...he's my biggest supporter in this game.
    approx. 7.5" diameter, 3.5" tall
    walls are about 1/4" thick, with the rim rounded under a bit on the inside

Nothing great, but maybe it's a start. C&C more than welcome!
    ps - Thanks to Bill Bullock and Michelle Rich for taking the time to answer my newb questions behind the scenes!!!

Thanks for looking,
    Dan

DSC04451.jpg

2. That is a nice one, Dan...........you are off to a great start in segmenting! I haven't as of yet tried my hand at segmenting, but I think it is in my future!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Totally understand the comment about "all the other tools". My wife laughed when I read this post to her. She and I agree that the bowl is very nicely done. I'm getting into the segmented world as well. Thanks for posting.
    Tim
    "Anything is possible, only believe"

Dan, the joinery looks very tight, and the wood combo is great. Nice form and finish, so I would say you have a winner!

Dan, very nice, especially for your first.

Looks good to me. One correction though... You referred to your father as your biggest 'supporter', and I feel that 'enabler' would be a much better word!

That's funny...The lathe was the last in the door. OH MY..... where to put all the stuff now? Seriously way overdue for a major spring re-organization cleanup!

I think thats a great bowl and a very intelligent approach. Seems to me if you struggle with the simpler ones, well the complex patterns won't be any fun at all. You might remind your wife that when you make it to retirement, you're going to have to be the handyman on a fixed income. Works for me!
    mj

Dan,

Excellent first segemented project. The joints are very tight and the form and colors are very well balanced. I am looking forward to your next segmented work.

Dan,
    That's a great looking bowl. It's hard to believe it's your first try at segmenting. I've done one segmented bowl and it's nowhere near as nice as yours. Tight glue lines, joints lined up, great form, etc. You should be very proud of it!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Dan, Great job on that bowl. I like the wood combination. Now on to more segmenting projects; they're a lot of fun. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I've been segmenting since the cows came home, so I know a bit about the skills needed. This is an excellent first, by anyone's standards. Will be interesting to watch your progress.

Excellent first success with the segmentation Dan. No telling where this may lead you. No doubt a start to more glueing/turning of pieces of wood. Keep the finger intact!! Thanks
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone! My hope was that this first go around would at least not discourage me from trying more segmenting, which it certainly did not. But it sure did give me an appreciation for the work that goes into some of the beautiful pieces that I've seen on here. So we'll see where it goes from here, I've already got my thoughts on how to improve, and am looking forward to it!

David - You have a great point on my Dad's "enabler" tendencies...and I love him for it!!

Very nice bowl! Really like the wood combination used! As others have already mentioned - really good joinery and nice finish! Looking forward to seeing your next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats on your first. It looks awfully good. I always chuckle when someone says their segmented project was "simple". I think that is a bit of an understatement. Love seeing the work of those that have been tugged into the seggy vortex. Hope you do some more.