Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norm's biscuit joiner observation...

To each their own! But if you are really PARANOID about wood dust, go for it with one of THESE:

clean_suit.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I think TREND makes one like that, but ... with their own brand identity, instead of that silly "NASA" stuff, which -- frankly -- is for posers, anyway

I have been thinking of a micro-sized Thien baffle for each nostril. Each inhale would first circle the baffle before the fines drop out into my mustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    I have been thinking of a micro-sized Thien baffle for each nostril. Each inhale would first circle the baffle before the fines drop out into my mustache.
    I tried that, stupid thing can't tell coke from sawdust........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I tried that, stupid thing can't tell coke from sawdust........Rod.
    Rod, you MAY be thinking about the [Charlie] SHEEN baffle.

Slightly different.

The Sheen Baffle. You pretty funny, Neil.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Rod, you MAY be thinking about the [Charlie] SHEEN baffle.

Slightly different.
    Yeah, that's it!........LOL..............Rod.

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
    - - Thomas Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
    - - Thomas Gray
    If you swallow your own saliva in small amounts over long periods of time, you will die!

I have a big fan in the back wall of my shop that I use to pull a good flow of air through the shop to keep the dust moving away from me and to the outside. Of course that is easier to do in Georgia than in some other parts of the great white North!

My Freud biscuit jointer only plugs up after about 4 slots when using the dust bag, and it only takes a couple of minutes to clean it out. So, use it for one minute and only spend two minutes cleaning it out........Obviously, I am being sarcastic. I hate the dust bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Dust collection is a good thing, but it's importance might be overblown for the home workshop - IMHO.
    I wonder how many of these home shops have contaminated the house since most are attached. If the house has fine dust contamination, it's easy to have significant exposure. Hard to see how the importance is overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    If you can have your vac attachment set up so that it's not in the way then it's great to use with a biscuit joiner. Sometimes that's not practical so just let it fly. Dust bags are worthless, not even sure why they include them as they clog fairly quickly.

Here's my feeling, (rant), Norm does these shows and goes out of his way to try to show safe operations. But he's got thousands of guys watching and inevitably there's going to be a couple who rewind and watch segments over again to catch things they consider unsafe. Guess what...it's woodworking, little of it's safe. People who find Norm unsafe should probably not consider woodworking for a hobby. Maybe something like stamp collecting would be a better choice

Most of us have brains in our heads and they should be used to decide how to work in a manner that's safe. If you see something you think is unsafe....don't do it. I personally, (like many small shop owners), do things that are not always safe, things I wouldn't let employees do. And there are things I've seen other guys do that I wouldn't attempt! It comes down to staying within your own comfort level and skill set.

OK rant over.....
    good luck,
    JeffD
    I couldn't have said it any better. If you feel better using dust collection when you use your biscuit cutter so be it. But Norm was pretty saftey conscious. I get so sick of you have to use the guard for this, you have to wear ear protection, you have to capture every dust particle. Our society is becoming a bunch of "pansies". Safety conscious is going over board. Pretty soon, it wont be recommended to leave the house.

Most of us rode in cars that were very very unsafe considering what we drive today, and as children were rarely in a child seat. Dont get me started about lawsuits. For some reason there is no such thing as an accident anymore, someone always has to be at fault.

I am not saying you are wrong for trying to be safe. If it makes you feel better, go for it, you will may live longer than me. But I refuse to worry about things as simple as chips from a jointer, planer, hand plane. I am more worried about sanding dust, dust from saws, and large amounts of really fine dust.

On second thought I dont know if I ever saw Norm use the guard on his table saw. I sure think that is more dangerous than not using proper dust collection on a biscuit jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McCune View Post
    I wonder how many of these home shops have contaminated the house since most are attached. If the house has fine dust contamination, it's easy to have significant exposure. Hard to see how the importance is overblown.
    Growing up having dust in the house wasn't equated with the house being contaminated ... it was just dusty ... Saturday morning Mom dusted. Mom did die when she was 90, I guess she didn't dust enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Growing up having dust in the house wasn't equated with the house being contaminated ... it was just dusty ... Saturday morning Mom dusted. Mom did die when she was 90, I guess she didn't dust enough.
    I presume you're not talking about sawdust -- dust from various species of wood, some of which is known to be toxic.

Similarly, I presume that Eric McCune WAS talking about sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I presume you're not talking about sawdust -- dust from various species of wood, some of which is known to be toxic.

Similarly, I presume that Eric McCune WAS talking about sawdust.
    Yeah I was. Dad's shop was in the basement. There's nothing wrong with dust collection, it's just that folks today feel they need to be protected from every day life. I'd rather just concentrate on enjoying every day. News Flash - nobody gets out alive!