Thread: DIY Grinder rest

DIY Grinder rest

I've got a new (to me) grinder with useless tool rests. I've got a decent plan for sharpening my woodworking tools, but I'd like an additional rest for other grinding tasks.

I could swear that I've seen a magazine article for "the ultimate grinder rest" (or some other fabulous title); I think it was in an issue of Shopnotes. Unfortunately, I can't find it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Jay

I just got one of these for my grinder. I don't have it mounted yet. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Opti...ool-Rest/G8987

John

I remember seeing what you're thinking of, but can't remember what mag it was in. I'll keep looking.
    If I remember right, it had a slide feature for sharpening hand plane blades, jointer knives, etc.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

John,
    That's pretty interesting. What size is the rest / platform? It's kind of tough to tell from the pictures. Any initial impressions?

Myk,
    Yeah, I think you're on the right track. Could it have been woodsmith instead of shopnotes?

Here's one I found online.
    http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...ng-jig/sj.html

Still looking through my mags. I want to find it because I want to make it.

Here's another one.
    http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip22.htm
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-28-2011 at 9:36 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The top measures 3 1/4 x 6 inches, and stands 6 inches tall. It's designed to use with a Grizzly wet stone grinder. I plan to mount it to the bench in front of the grinding stone, and make it removable. I think its worth the asking price.

John

Well, that IS a cute little grinder rest. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Just curious how this worked out for you. It looks like a nice option for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    The top measures 3 1/4 x 6 inches, and stands 6 inches tall. It's designed to use with a Grizzly wet stone grinder. I plan to mount it to the bench in front of the grinding stone, and make it removable. I think its worth the asking price.

John

It fits up to an 8" grinder good. For a 6" grinder, you will need to use a spacer block under the grinder to raise it up so the tool rest is at the center of the wheel.

John

@ John,
    That Griz grinder rest looks like the cat's pajamas and the price is super. Just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

Gary

There is an "ultimate" tool rest in SHOPNOTES issue #76

Check out the current ShopNotes

American Woodworker, issue #149, Aug/Sep 2010, page 64, "The Ultimate Grinding Rig"

Here's a copy:
    http://www.tmch.net/hot-pipe-bending...nding-rig.html