Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! I need a soft yet non slip surface

Help!!! I need a soft yet non slip surface

I am building a guitar stand and where the guitars actualt rest I need a soft bumper kind of surface. I was thinking felt but it would also be somewhat slick and I'd be afraid of the 4 $3500 guitars smacking each other. I was thinkif maybe like a clear self adhesive rubber but can't find anything of that sort but was also thinking maybe building up a rubber cement or something of that nature. It is a bit of a showpiece so aesthetics are pretty important but then again so is function. Anywhooo..... Any ideas????

Blog Entries
    Find a roll of the foam mesh they sell as cupboard/drawer liners... a few bucks at Target. Multiple colors.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Brilliant. That never even crossed my thoughts. And there is a whole roll of it inthe bottom of my toolbox......

Cork??????

If you want to add some color look at bicycle handlebar tape.
    RD

Blog Entries
    I'd lobby against the drawer liner material. If the guitars have a poly, finish it will be fine. If though, they have a lacquer finish or french polish, the drawer liner may react with the guitar finish, marring it. DAMHIKT.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Good call on the drawer liner. I know one of the guitars is lacquer. Cork sounds good and still has that natural look about it but where would I find say a 1"x36"x.060 piece at???

Try this stuff, use in on boat counters to stop stuff from bouncing off the counters
    http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=73726F

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cork-gasket-sheets/=bmst0z
    Part Number 9487k51
    12 x 36 x 1/16" self adhesive sheet.

Also, skip the drawer liner. I love the stuff for many reasons, but it can leave an oily residue or film on some surfaces.

As noted previously I would stay away from any vinyl or rubber materials. Ever seen what happens when you move a carpet off a hardwood floor when there has been a non-slip uncoating or pad under the rug for a while? There is a chemical reaction that darkens the finish leaving a perfect outline on the floor.

I would stay with a natural material, either felt or cork. Both are available from craft stores or on line.
    Wood'N'Scout

If the stands are round where the guitars rest, look at the grips here. I bought a bunch of these for weight room equipment. You use hair spray to wet things down and slip them on. After it dries you almost need to cut them off.
    There are soft grips, and harder ones to fit 7/8" to 1 1/4" or so.
    http://www.sportsmith.net/productsea...dsNav=N:751065
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-28-2011 at 5:57 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

+1 on the cork.

I like the idea of cork handle bar wraps that can be found at any local bike shop. The color combinations are endless too.

I don't know how this would with different finishes but it sure would do the job. I would see if you could contact them and find out a little more.

http://www.super-skids.com/Orangepad.htm

Split leather or other leather is an good option. If you're willing to go a bit thicker on the cork, you could simply pick up a piece of HO or N scale cork roadbed at your local Model Railroad / Hobby shop. 30-36" long, beveled edges, cheap, local. Hobby Lobby also has it I believe.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    I might suggest felted wool. Instrument makers used this for hundreds of years.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"