Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ketchup darker than it used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Did you read Tim's post? If you're using anything other than the 32 oz. bottle of that, then it's still using HFCS. They only make it with sugar in one size of their product. Odd to say the least. Hunts apparently does not use HFCS in any of their sizes.
    The "Simply Heinz" product has no HFCS. Their Organic product has no HFCS. Their other products do. You don't have to go by the size, and there's no scam involved despite what the article was trying to insinuate. You simply have a choice as to what to buy with the Heinz product.

I think I should have made more clear that "Simply Heinz" is the name of the product...it actually says those words on the label. I think the confusion is that maybe people thought I was saying, "Well, you just simply have to buy Heinz". LOL. No no no.

I don't really like the flavor of Hunts, although when I was younger I think I preferred it. I certainly prefer it over the regular corn syrup Heinz (HFCS has a bitter/metallic after taste to me). I like the sugar Heinz most of all though.

Kind of ridiculous to know this much about ketchup, isn't it?
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-30-2011 at 9:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Are the major brands of ketchup darker than they used to be? - say 40 years ago.

As I remember ketchup from my childhood, it was a brighter red than the ketchups of today.
    I’ve noticed that too—along with a lot of other things. I recently had to upgrade my welding helmet to one with an auto darkening lens because it was a little too dark inside my old helmet. It’s called “getting old”.

My favorite "ketchup" is Jufran Banana Sauce. It is like ketchup only so much tastier!!! It is made in the Philippines and can be found in any Asian food store.
    sajr1201.jpg
    Last edited by David Peterson MN; 03-30-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: pic didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    ...I've made ketchup and it's pretty good! I've started fooling around with making mustard. I'm turning into a regular mountain man, which fits well with my generally anti-social outlook

If (when?) the lights go out, you'll be the man. Hand powered woodworking experience, entertainment (assuming you don't just make those guitars ), and ketchup!

(FWIW, I'm not poking fun at you no matter how that post sounds. My wife and I bought a pressure canner last year; ketchup is definately on our "learn how to make and preserve" list.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Now I want Mexican Coca-Cola.
    Ok, I gotta ask. I see Mexican Coca-Cola in my grocery store. What's the difference from it and "American" Coke?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Ok, I gotta ask. I see Mexican Coca-Cola in my grocery store. What's the difference from it and "American" Coke?
    In the rest of the world, people use sugar. HFCS is predominantly a US phenomenon due to our artificial bolstering of sugar prices. It's difficult, or was difficult, to grow sugar in our climate, so to prevent a collapse of the sugar plantations (and subsequent collapse of everything surrounding them, including the slave trade) the plantation owners enlisted the aid of the US government to artificially inflate import sugar costs so that domestic sugar could compete. They continued helping on into the 1970's. Then they started handing out huge corn subsidies. In the 80's, this finally led Coke and Pepsi to say enough's enough, and they switched to HFCS. Everyhthing else soon followed, though I seem to recall ketchup starting the transition in the late 60's or early 70's.

There's been no such forces in other parts of the world, so there's really no compelling reason to use HFCS instead of sugar. That's not to say it's not used, but there isn't intense economic pressure to use it everywhere they possibly can, hence Mexican Coke is made with sugar at the moment.

This is a terrible over simplification and it's memory so I hope I have the details right, but that should broadly put it in perspective, though.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-30-2011 at 1:04 PM.

I've been buying something called "Pepsi Throwback" which is made with real sugar. The can looks like the old can from my youth. I'm not sure if it is a temporary release or a test product, but I am stocking up, baby!

As to the sugar being "prohibitively expensive" I'd like to see what that translates to in the marketplace. I'm willing to pay 10 cents more per can for real sugar! Usually "prohibitively expensive" is 5 cents extra per ton, as far as shareholders are concerned.
    Ron Conlon

for sure...i was in the phillipines many years ago...very tasty stuff!!

Check out the new Sierra Mist Naturals. It also uses pure sugar. Every now and then you can also catch Mountain Dew Throwback and Heritage Dr. Pepper. The DP tastes pretty much the same, but the MD and Pepsi Throwback definitely tastes old school. Way less fizzy and as sickeningly sweet like the new stuff.

Phil,
    Check your local supermarket in the exotic food section. Ours has mexican sodas of all types. Pricy though.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz View Post
    Check out the new Sierra Mist Naturals. It also uses pure sugar. Every now and then you can also catch Mountain Dew Throwback and Heritage Dr. Pepper. The DP tastes pretty much the same, but the MD and Pepsi Throwback definitely tastes old school. Way less fizzy and as sickeningly sweet like the new stuff.
    You have to get Doctor Pepper in the south. Northerners don't know how to make it.

That there is a fact.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    You have to get Doctor Pepper in the south. Northerners don't know how to make it.

That there is a fact.
    You can get DP made with sugar in glass bottles at the original plant in Waco, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    It tastes about 100 times better. Their Pepsi and Mtn Dew as well!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Check your local supermarket in the exotic food section. Ours has mexican sodas of all types. Pricy though.
    When I lived in Indiana, the mexican food section had a tiny bottle (8 oz.?) of some white soda that tasted/smelled a lot like cherry. I would clean the shelf of them every time I went in. No idea who made them, no idea what it was called, but it rocked, and I would love it if someone could find the information. Maybe it's a typical drink in Mexico?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

On the true nature of the thread. I noticed the ketchup is darker, I will check the label. Is suspect dye changes. As for kosher For Passover Coke. The previous explanation ( re corn is correct ) but I have seen less and less of it.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"