Thread: First bowl -- rough out

First bowl -- rough out

Main point of this whole post is: boy do I have a lot to learn!

Here is a pic of my first bowl. I have tried two others so far with no success as the cheap face plate with the first bowl cracked when I had a catch. So that bowl was put aside as it was a lot smaller then the bowl shown. I had a bigger face plate and when I received my chuck from Terry Richards, I turned the piece of Ambrosia Maple I received from Jim Ketron.

I had a very difficult time getting used to the bowl gouge. I was following to the best of my ability what I learned on Bill's DVD, and I think I need to watch it again more carefully. Anyway, when roughing the outside of the bowl, the gouge would clog up. Anyone ever have this happen? It was very frustrating. So I ended up taking a 1/2" scraper to the outside and finished roughing it up then used the bowl gouge one last time to get it relatively smooth.

Then the inside of the bowl was a little difficult to do but I was just about to get the hang of it when I hit my desired rough-out depth. When I would start the cut from the outside going in, the cut would be smooth until the tool was about parallel with the lathe and it would start to bounce and kick around. I did lose the bowl out of the chuck once, but luckily I turned everything at 450 RPM so it didn't go far.

Anyway, it was fun, regardless of the initial problems. The inside is NOT smooth at all, and so I hope that doesn't affect the drying.

Oh yeah, and that is my new lathe in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new lathe Mark!
    Looks Like that bowl is looking good to
    I have found that the smoother the rough out is It makes it a lot easier to get a good finish less sanding and tearout. it just takes time and pratice looks like you are doing great to me!
    What size gouge are you using? I think you might be using a dull tool to get the clog up a sharp tool will send shavings flying. also Might be tool presentation
    and keep your tool rest as close to your work as possible on the inside work
    your doing just fine Keep at it !
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Hey, we have the same Lathe - cool! Very nice first bowl. I'd show you mine but by now those ashes are sinking back into the earth.

Stefan

Awesome Lathe And Bowl. I Just Got That Lathe. One Thought On The Roughing Out Is. Try Moving Your Tool Rest Into The Center So You Do Not Have So Much Tool Being Unsupported.
    Practice Makes Perfect. Soo Keep Having Fun Steve

Jim, I have a 1/2" bowl gouge. You may be right in that it needs a little sharpening. Also, as mentioned by others, I have been keeping that tool rest very close to the inside work. I would stop it quit a bit to get it set. But I didn't have cloggings when doing the inside, just the outside...which makes sense as I use the left hand flute side for the outside and the right hand flute side for the inside of the bowl.

The toughest part on the inside was also the very center where it seemed the wood would not cut. Even using a scraper there didn't work. I had to use the scraper like a cutting knife with the cutting edge verticle rather than the traditional horizontal method. I couldn't tell if it was my tool presentation or maybe I let the wood sit too long before turning? Just a thought.

Stefan, remember this is just the roughout. when knows what will happen when I rechuck it for the finishing process! hehe...I have a feeling I will be utilizing the 60 grit gouge a lot.

Mark,
    Congratulations on the lathe. It looks like you made a great start on the roughed out bowl. It's the best time to get the feel - roughing out on greenish) wood. You certainly can't go wrong referring back to what Bill teaches.
    I would say suspect that SHARP tools make all the difference. This will be even more important when you move to stage 2 and finish that beautiful bowl when it's dry. -Steve

Mark.
    Congratulations on your new lathe and first turning. I am also new to this and was having some similar problems.

After reading the replies you received I think I will review Bill's DVD and try sharpening my tools.

Nice work Mark.

John

Hey Mark,

I agree with the previous posters.

Also, RE: the bowl coming out of the chuck, make certain the tenon on the bottom of the bowl is only a half a smidge shorter than the depth of the chuck jaws. That gives the jaws the maximum wood to clamp down on, but also allows the bottom of the bowl to act as a shoulder resting against the top lips of the chuck jaws. Also, when clamping down on green wood, you might snug up the chuck jaws now and then, whenever you stop the lathe.

Also, it seems to hold best when the diameter of the tenon is no larger than 1/2" more than the minimum clamping diameter of the chuck. This puts more jaw metal on the wood.

Wear a face shield!

TR

Mark,
    I also struggled with the first few. Even though video instruction is generally pretty darn good, nothing beats first hand, looking over the shoulder at somebody who knows what they are doing and is willing to take a few minutes to pass that knowledge on to you. If you have a Woodcraft near you, check out their classes. If there is a turning club in your area, even better. Turners are generous when it comes to introducing newcomers to the craft and I'll bet this thread might just shake somebody loose nearby that can help with some pointers. Either way, you are off to a flying start!!
    Ted