Thread: Green Walnut Rolling Pin - Wondering about movement during drying

Green Walnut Rolling Pin - Wondering about movement during drying

I have a few walnut logs 8-10" that I am thinking about turning into rolling pins. The wood is wet and my gut tells me that they wont' do anything weird as they dry because of their width, but since these blanks didn't come nominally dry as in from a wood supplier, I don't know much about drying effects of solid thick turnings (4-5" or so).

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    I have a few walnut logs 8-10" that I am thinking about turning into rolling pins. The wood is wet and my gut tells me that they wont' do anything weird as they dry because of their width, but since these blanks didn't come nominally dry as in from a wood supplier, I don't know much about drying effects of solid thick turnings (4-5" or so).

Any thoughts?
    If you leave the pith in they will check and crack. They will warp and will need to be turned twice. On average wood takes about 1 year per inch thickness to dry. Also walnut tannins can cause intestinal issues, and the shavings will kill animals and plant life.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Myroup View Post
    If you leave the pith in they will check and crack. They will warp and will need to be turned twice. On average wood takes about 1 year per inch thickness to dry. Also walnut tannins can cause intestinal issues, and the shavings will kill animals and plant life.
    I was afraid that the heartwood/pith might dry at a different rate than the rest of the log. Not so sure about the toxicity issue, though. Much of what I've read suggests that reactions can be specific to individuals and most are to wood dust as opposed to any exposure from a finish turning. Still, I might just look for some other species since these will be used for rolling cookie dough that will lead to cookies for people I might not know. Thanks for the reply

I second the exposure thing on the walnut as a finish turning. I am very sensitive to green walnut on my skin, but I can eat walnuts (both english and american black walnut) just fine, and have never had a problem. Also, my mother has a walnut rolling pin that was around before I was born, and used all the time when I was growing up; no issues. Most people will be getting their rolling pins wet or oily on a regular basis; perhaps mineral oil is the best finish? You could go with "butcher block oil" if you want to pay more $$ for the same product. FYI the mineral oil you buy in the pharmacy is food grade. After all, they are selling it as a laxative, which is swallowed.

EDIT: keep the pith out of those turnings, no matter whether you turn, dry, turn, or just let it go oval. If you leave it, you'll regret it.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 03-29-2011 at 6:04 PM.

Best woods for rolling pins are sugar (hard) maple and beech. These are what most of the restaurant grade rolling pins are made from. They are hard, heavy closed grained woods. Walnut is open grained, having a lot or pores that can collect mini particles of food. It can be sealed so this is not really a problem, but that is too much work for me. Walnut when dried generally doesn't cause problems, but with hot foods in bowls, like soup, it can add flavor.

robo hippy

I can verify the toxicity issues. Remember any reaction is subjuct to the individual. I'm allergic to asprin..my wife isn't, My sister is allergic to cats...I'm not...so yes...all individuals are subject to a reaction...all individuals are not subject to a reaction. Having no botany background, I asked two Master Gardners we have at work...I use wood shavings for mulch all the time...about walnut shavings. They gave me no details, but my buddy Amy said if I want to kill off all my veggies in the garden, add walnut shavings. So I always dump the shop-vac before I do walnut. I maple/walnut rolling pin would look cool IMHO
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I don't think the green wood is a good way to go. I'm not worried about potential toxicity, but any warping that occurs(even if minor)will adversely effect the piece in use. I think you've be better off with laminated dry wood if you can't find solid pieces large enough. Good luck.

rolling pins

Walnut laminated with beech make nice pins and the woods turn well together. Use seasoned wood. I Made 9 with a spring pole lathe and 8-10 with my Nova. I use food grade mineral oil to soak them. Need to replenish often.

I had a customer who brought me some walnut logs one late summer. She wanted me to not only make boards but also to turn some rolling pins for Christmas gifts. I turned the billets round, soaked them in denatured alcohol and put them on their ends on a rack. Every week or so I turned them end for end. In Dec. I turned the rolling pins. They did not warp a bit and no deaths were reported from their use.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia