Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a bedan

Value of a bedan

I thought I would get some input from some of the turners here that have and use a bedan tool. I am considering getting one, but want to know if the same things can be done just as well with other tools?

If you have one, and use it often, what is the most prominent function or 3 you use it for? Is it worth the purchase price?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good question Roger, I have been kicking this around myself so I will be interested in the replys...Tim

Man I am getting blind or something, had to go back and double check the tittle after reading the OP and next post. I initially read the tittle as "Value of a bed-pan"

"The best things in life are not things."

Roger, I bought one, but I am not impressed. It will be interesting to see the responses you get. Seems to be a glorified parting tool that doesn't work quite as well most of the time. If things are just right, I can get a good cut with it, but it wastes a lot of material.

I just watched a video of it being used and I though it looked pretty efficient. I may have to make my one and see how it handles.

"The best things in life are not things."

Rodger
    First is the question are you getting a English bedan or a French bedan. the French bedan is more useful but harder to find then the English.I seen Jeaun Clude Escolone at Cinccy Oh. at Turning 2009 and found out about the bedan.Do yourself a large favor and get one of his books or dvd's and or go to his web site and see if it's a tool you'll really use.I own a English bedan made by Sorby but I don't ues it much it's like John K. said parting tool ect..ect..ect.I was looking for a French bedan but stoped that to.If I hadn't needed it so far why now.Good luck and hope this helps.
    Oh by the way the differences is in the way the steel is angled one is upside down then the other but can't remember which one is which.

Roger, I watched the vidios on Youtube. I was impressed. I made a Bedan, HSS, this tool is cool, go for it.

I have a bedan as well. There is a French turner (can't remember his name) who is THE master of the bedan. 30 years of production turning helped. He makes Trembluers. I have spent a fair amount of time using my bedan to the point I am OK with it. I found it to be a much more unforgiving tool than the skew. Monster catches. IMHO becoming very good with a skew through lots of practice will get you the same results.

I have a Bedan. I'm kind of with John Keeton on this. Bedan: An oversized, single bevel parting tool that, with a lot of practise, will render the results you currently achieve with common turning tools.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I have a bedan, with sides beveled down, that is very useful in making the 1 3/8" D recess for the PSI expanding collet chuck. It is also good for forming tenons where a large shoulder is cut and getting the square side. Would I buy again? Yes. I think it is a Henry Taylor but it was on sale at the time. It does hold an edge and I hone the edge, especially to cut the 1/16" or so recess for the expanding collet to get a clean flat surface.

I've had one for about a year, from PSI, $22. The only thing I really use it for is for turning the bulk of the material for tenons and deep shoulders. I find it's really quick for those type of tasks, but find it has pretty limited uses. Pretty much a wide parting tool. For the cost, I think it's worth having.

I've used the bedan, as well as the parting tool on my sorby sizer. I prefer the Bedan.

Cindy Drozda uses a bedan in her videos. That would be a good source for info on the tool. I personally do not use one, however, for Drozda's finials and small lidded boxes, she makes it sound indispensable!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Cindy Drozda uses a bedan in her videos. That would be a good source for info on the tool. I personally do not use one, however, for Drozda's finials and small lidded boxes, she makes it sound indispensable!
    Hi Jon,

I viewed her finial video last evening, and saw her use it for making a tenon............I still have her finial star video to watch as well. That is where I got my question from........seeing here use it briefly...........for what I saw on the one video, a parting tool would be just as good.

I also just took Gary Sutton's advice and looked at a you tube video of a guy in Japan using one..........seems the same as a skew, pretty much. I will have to look at Drozda's other video to see how she uses it, but I am leaning against it at present, but reserve the right to change my mind!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hi Roger..I use one a ton..but I make chairs..so I use it for tenons..I've also in a pinch used it to hollow a small vessel!