Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to go "pro"

Michael,
    I'm not sure you're actually catching this fact: when people above gave you advise to
    1. proof-read your posts, and make sure everything is correct (stop using "i" instead of "I", and add some punctuation!)
    2. take good pictures... post only good pictures... take the best pictures you can
    3. market yourself...market yourself via good pictures and good writing

They were actually serious. Now you've gotten that advice about 5 times, and it's good advice. Nothing turns folks off quicker than someone asking for advice, and then ignoring it when it's given. If you can't muster up the discipline to adhere to these two simple pieces of advice, then it's unlikely you have the discipline to succeed at business.

My advice: get a job in the industry, in a small successful shop where you can observe and interact with the guy making the decisions for the business. Observe him, and copy. Learn the woodworking skills; then the marketing and selling; then the accounting for costs/pricing that allows a profit to be produced. Don't think about trying it on your own until you have that knowledge and several years observation under your belt. There's a reason that an apprentice system was used to teach people all that above over the course of 5 years minimum, usually much longer... because that's what it takes to succeed in general.

Good luck.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I'm not much older than you, and very laid back, yet you've still managed to
    LOL!
    More years ago than I care to remember....I worked w/Steve and Old Floyd.
    Steve was kind of a bone head that wouldn't listen to anyone.
    Old Floyd told a joke about a guy with a mule.
    The guy would always whomp the mule upside the head w/a 2x4. One day he was aksed why he was always mistreating his mule.
    The guy answered, "the 2x4 is just so I'm sure I have his attention"

After that, every time Steve went off, Old Floyd would look at him and say "Do I need to get my 2x4"?

Lot's of good advice here - but - I think a few people are looking around for a 2x4......

I don't want you to think I haven't taken any of your advice so I am here to say I sent out a couple of emails for an apprenticeship .
    I spent 2 plus hours online learning about proper punctuation and good business grammar.
    I am also taking a ride out to a Amish furniture and cabinet shop to learn a few things and put in an apprenticeship request.
    I have said it numerous time but I will say it again I do appreciate the advice you guys give me, it dosnt just roll of my back.

Hi Michael.
    I would like to explain what a couple of the guys are talking about here.
    You are writing in a style that is completely appropriate for texting and for quick, informal blog posts with people of your age range.
    As soon as you said the word "business" you stepped in a new room with a completely different standard for writing. You need to write like you were going for an "A" in English class. You can practice this right here and now.

Step one: Use capitalization and punctuation.

You wrote:
    at don
    i have been doing friends and family items but it is not getting the turn around i expected but i agree with you it will take time (i'm sixteen now so time i have plenty of)
    thank you for you reply

at Anthony
    i definitely agree with you on the fact that not every one will agree that it is a living or for me new tool money and i have had the people that think that because their getting it from me it will be cheaper then retail prices and i have been trying to make a contract up but i want something that is simply worded and can conform to any business changes i want to make any way thank you for you reply

Here it is with Punctuation and Capitalization (and a couple of word changes):

To Don:
    I have been doing 'friends and family' items, but I am not getting the turn around I expected. I agree with you it will take time. (I'm sixteen now so time i have plenty of time.)
    Thank you for you reply.

To Anthony:
    I definitely agree with you on the fact that not every one will agree that it is a living (or for me, new tool money.) I have had the people who think that because they are getting it from me it will be cheaper than retail prices. I also have been trying to make a contract up, but I want something that is simply worded and can conform to any business changes I want to make.
    Anyway, thank you for you reply.

Keep going, Michael. Hug your English teacher.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Michael,

Before I address your question may I say that the internet has a strange permanence, so prudence is called for.

As to turning pro, well it depends on what you want to do, I'm assuming that you would like to make and sell furniture and the like for a living. This is a very common dream very rarely accomplished.

I remember the acute certainty of vision that being sixteen provided, I also know that that acute vision is very narrow and fickle, broadened and tempered only with time, experience and education.

To sell the furniture you make and make a living it will need qualities beyond mere perfection of execution, it will need good design. Design is what makes the piece desirable, great design is what might make the kind of market which might support a 'fine woodworker'. Design is referenced in your education both formal and informal. Were I you I would wait and apply myself and my resources to that education, a good college, some travel, a very great deal of looking, widening that acute vision and giving depth to that from which your designs will be drawn.

Learn to draw, take pleasure in it, draw everything, draw constantly, go nowhere without a sketchbook and pencil, take notes, you will learn far more about a thing by drawing it than taking a photograph. It is essential in communicating clearly with your client, it instills confidence or ought to in everyone concerned much more effectively than a computer generated image. Drawing is a civilised accomplishment and, if I had my way, would be a High School graduation requirement.

Continue to learn all you can about the trade by yourself and alongside your father, who, as a trim carpenter may as you say know little about joinery beyond compound mitre cuts, but doubtless will have a great deal to teach you about accuracy, speed, quality and adaptability, in short professionalism, plus he's your Dad.
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 04-02-2011 at 3:34 PM. Reason: logorrhoea

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    I don't want you to think I haven't taken any of your advice so I am here to say I sent out a couple of emails for an apprenticeship .
    I spent 2 plus hours online learning about proper punctuation and good business grammar.
    I am also taking a ride out to a Amish furniture and cabinet shop to learn a few things and put in an apprenticeship request.
    I have said it numerous time but I will say it again I do appreciate the advice you guys give me, it dosnt just roll of my back.
    Good work.
    From what I can see, you first posted on a Thursday, and by Saturday you were taking advice to heart and thanking people.
    That's quick.
    Consider putting some of the money you have available away for the future, but some into a good, safe shop.
    You can get a solid starter shop for $15,000 to $20,000. If you invest in a good cabinet saw that will last you 10-20 years - or more.
    Add a good dust collection system to the must list. If you're spending a lot of time woodworking starting at age 16, you need to protect your health.
    Finally, see if your school or a local community college has a class on developing a business plan.
    Good luck.

I may have gotten an apprenticeship if I can justify driving an hour to Amish country every other day.

Details?
    I'd say a hour drive is worth it if it's a good shop.

In addition to the rock solid advice many have posted above, namely to A)learn the English language [for business] and B) to learn the trade I will paraphrase an expression attributed to Warren Buffet that summarizes it all..
    "your first investment should be in yourself".

his name is Peter Yoder he is semi-retired and he does custom kitchens and cabinetry it is in Middlefield,Ohio and is a 1hr 25 min ride from my current location. he says the apprenticeship is mine if I want it.

Michael, it sounds like a good start.

I'm a bit older than yourself (27), and I only recently got started working for myself two years ago.
    It can be incredibly brutal, and the advice that you've been given is spot on.

Along with learning from Mr. Yoder, learn as much as you can from your mom.
    Understanding taxes at your young age will be a HUGE advantage.
    If you could work for her part time, you will reap significant dividends before most of your peers finish college.

And yes...proper punctuation, grammar, and professionalism is necessary regardless of the field that you choose.
    You will be competing with the very best, who don't care that you're 16.

In any case, I wish you success!

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    his name is Peter Yoder he is semi-retired and he does custom kitchens and cabinetry it is in Middlefield,Ohio and is a 1hr 25 min ride from my current location. he says the apprenticeship is mine if I want it.
    sounds cool.

impressive action.
    Wow that's a trek though... You might continue looking for something closer, you did very well for a few days looking, I'd think you could stand to spend a couple weeks more seeking something closer, and might find even better setup? If not, then you won't have waited too long, and I'm sure the spot will be open for you.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Hi Michael,
    Here's a link to a book that Hendrik Varju has put together about starting your own woodworking business. It might be worth a look.
    http://www.passionforwood.com/books.htm
    Good Luck