Thread: Latest Build

Latest Build

So, we were pretty slow at work, and I had to come up with some money for tuition (tools), so I put an ad on CL for concrete countertop work. I landed a kitchen countertop job, and when they saw some photos of some of my wood projects, they decided that they wanted to use me for their new table and island. The table would also be accomplanied by a matching bench.
    All were to be constructed out of reclaimed barn wood. (I would later find out that old, old barn wood makes short work of planer knives, and that their knots leave BEAUTIFUL DINGS in freshly honed plane irons.)

I really wanted to wait until all the pieces were done, but I don't feel like waiting anymore. I thought I'd share what's been done so far.
    The counters, table, and island have been delivered, and I hope to complete the bench this week.

I like it very much, and can only admire you for taking on playing with reclaimed wood.
    But I've only recently became aware of concrete tops and they fascinate me. Is there any steel reinforcing in there or is it only a slab?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Jacques Malan' View Post
    I like it very much, and can only admire you for taking on playing with reclaimed wood.
    But I've only recently became aware of concrete tops and they fascinate me. Is there any steel reinforcing in there or is it only a slab?
    Yes, there is steel reinforcement. Normally I use a combination of 3/8" rebar, wire mesh and fiber mesh.

Blog Entries
    Ah yes, concrete countertops... fun to put in, a life-shortener taking them back out Nicely done, especially the built-in drain station.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5