Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision on lathe purchase

Decision on lathe purchase

I've been looking at new lathes for a few weeks now and I'm looking hard at the Jet 1642 1/1/2hp model. A friend of mine started talking about the Grizzly 18/37 or something like that. He said it was just like the jet but I'm not so sure. What are your thoughts? I still think I will go with the jet but who knows.. Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on Jet tools on April 9th. That would be a good time to get one if I'm going to do it. If I go with the Jet I will probally get the 1/1/2hp because right now I only have 110 in the shop. Is there really that much difference in the 1/1/2 and 2hp motors other than about $250.00? I really need lots of advise from you JET owners. If I went with a 2hp one I would have to install a 220 in the shop which would not be a big problem but do or would I need a 2hp? Sorry for the question but I have been drooling on my keyboard for weeks now and my wife gave me the OK."THANKS".........

more hp is always worth it.

3. Donny,

I have the Grizzly 18/47 and it has been superb for almost a year and a half. It has features like the Jet 16/42 only does not have the cage. That being said it is less expensive also, but if I were you I would go with the Jet 16/42 because Grizzly seems to have problems getting the units from the factory and has had to temporarily discontinue that model for a while, and the Jets seem to be available without much problem.

I think both are fine lathes, and you likely will not max out the capacity of the Jet, unless you are into really big turnings.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have the 1 1/2 HP 1642. I really like it. However, I have slowed it down a few time hogging off too much at a time- there is no need to be that aggressive. More horsepower might be better, but you probably wont miss it if you dont know what it is like to have it. The only thing I dont like is the banjo lockdown mechanism. It seems spongy from time to time when I lock it down and I havent figured out why. The variable frequency drive is awesome because you can start with some very out of balance wood safely at slow speed.

When I bought mine, I had nothing for turning, so the extra money that would have went for the 2 hp lathe went for tools and getting set up. I turned on Steve Schlumpf's lathe which is 2 hp, but I was so green, I had nothing to compare. I also turned on a Nova DVR before I bought the Jet. I liked both lathes, but the Jet fit my budget better and I liked the sliding head rather than pivoting (personal preference only).
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I already gave you my thoughts - I didn't mention, though, that I've turned on a Robust American Beauty and on a oneway 24-whatever-it-was. They were both absolutely splendid machines, and if I could have one or the other as a gift, I'd take it - but like I said, whenever I've stalled my jet, it's been because I've been unreasonably aggressive. If money was no object, I'd say get the 2 hp, but for me the 1 1/2 hp was the right decision, and I haven't regretted it. Personally, I don't think you would either - but that's just my perspective. Either way, you'll have fun!

I have the 2hp Jet. Spend the extra, you'll never regret it. And while you're wiring the 220, install a 220 single pole switch so that you can kill all the power to the lathe when not in use. That way, no surge or lightning should get in there and do any damage.

It's a great lathe, I really like mine.

Good luck.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I just got the Jet 1642 last week and like it. Jet was having a 15% off sale, but it ended on Monday. I purchased the 1.5hp model only because 220 is not in my shop. You might try ToolNut as they were offering free shipping too.

I'm geting the 1642 during the Fall sale. I'm getting the 110v 1 1/2 hp. I have no hope or desire for 220. The guy at Tool Nut (his name escapes me) said it should be about $1300 at that time. What a steal!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have the 1 1/2 hp Jet and like it a lot. Has plenty of power for me. I too like the sliding headstock.
    Last edited by Mike Cross; 03-31-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Even though you may not be interested in turning big stuff off the end or coring bowls right now, would 250 be worth not having that regret later? Congrats on the decision to jump. You are going to love the additional versatility!

Nice to see your enthusiasm alive and well again Donny. My suggestion is if this is your last lathe, don't cut corners on an argument to upgrade again. It's just not cost effective. Personally, Im staying with the Delta 46-460.... for now anyway.

If you are considering production turning, then you need the 2 hp 220 volt model. Simply, more torque so you can hog off material faster. The 1.5 hp model is okay, but when I demo on it (I have a 3 hp Robust) it is way too easy to slow it down.

robo hippy

I got a Jet 1642 2HP and it has been great. It has good alinement and smooth turning. The finish is nice and it is a joy to use.
    My dad got one of the Big Grizzly Lathes 18/50 or some such. It was back ordered for 3-4 months. The bolt that holds the bango and tail stock on was too long so you could not slide them off. Either cut the bolt, or take the nut off from underneith every time. The overall finish was not as nice. It didn't have a handle on the back side of the spindle. And the on/off switch was a pain. He also had to replace the Freq Drive within 2 months - which Grizzly took care of, but still...It was a less expensive tool but I don't know if it was a good value for the money.

I think the extra horsepower is worth the money. It gives you the ability to do coring later on - or what ever you may want to do. I don't plan on upgrading for a long time so havng something nice was worth it to me.

Just my experience.

If you are considering the Grizzly, do a search for postings here and on the AAW site. There has been a lot of discussion since it came out. The model number is G0698 and it is, as Roger stated above, an 18x47.

Donny, I just upgraded from the Delta 46-460 to the Jet 1642 2hp, as you probably saw. I have turned only one bowl, as the "switch-over" required a lot of selling and acquisition of new chucks, etc. Had to upgrade my steady, the hollowing rig, etc., etc. And, there has been a lot going on around here (hope to catch up on all that this weekend!!)

In any event, I turned this bowl from a half section of maple log, rounded on the bandsaw to just under 16". I was amazed at how much wood I cut peel off that piece with the 2hp with no hint of stalling out. I even caught myself watching the speed readout a few times to see any reduction in speed. I think the extra hp is worth it, if you can run the 220 easily.

As to the lathe itself, it seems very well machined and designed. I think I will be pleased with it, though the Delta is a wonderful machine.