Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Walnut and White Ash Display Cabinet, Update

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I love the look of the contrasting timbers. Really fine woodworking. It may just be my 56 year old eyes, but it looks like the front of the doors are curved and the rabbet/rabbit for the glass is straight. If it is, that's a nice way to save on the cost of curved glass. Nice touch.
    Mike, my thought exactly. I did have some curved glass made years ago for a project. I was nice but expensive.

Making the curved fronted straight backed rabbeted and mitered glass stop was tricky. I couldn't figure out how to cut the curved rabbet on such a small delicate little piece of molding. What I finally did was start with an un-rabbeted piece and then cut about 3/16" of the curve off. I then ripped the back piece down in thickness then glued the little curved piece back on.

Bret

Very nice peice. Generally I am not a big fan of Ash but you sure did highlight it's beauty with the contrasting walnut. I may borrow a few design ideas with this combination of wood as ash is very cheap in these parts of Maine and just always pass it by. I love the Krenov inspiration in this peice. Great design and way to execute (spelling?) it to perfection.

I love the design, and craftsmanship, HOWEVER: I think the dovetails on the carcass ruin the piece or seriously denigrate its beauty. Really to be honest, those are ugly dove tails especially considering the rest of the piece is fantastic. Proportions = great, wood choice = great, design = great. Dovetails = ugly in this piece!
    MARK

Mark,

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you like most of the cabinet. I accept your critisizim of the dovetails which you obviously feel quite strongly about. Is it the shape, orientation or the layout of the DTs that bothers you? Or do you feel they are unnecessary in the first place.

I usually provide some exposed joinery on my pieces. It's not something I do to impress other woodworkers but because people seem to like it.

On this piece those dovetails provide an important connection between the upper and lower portions of the cabinet and hopefully would prevent a possible hinging and collapse of whole cabinet. My concern was that if two people were moving the cabinet laid down face up, one holding the legs and one holding the top, those dovetails do a good job of holding the two sections together. So there needed to be some solid joinery there. Whether or not to have left the DTs exposed and the layout is debatable.

Most people prefer the smallish or "London" pins on the DTs. If I had done that would it have changed your opinion? You've prolly noticed by my work that I'm not one to follow the crowd when it comes to design.

Bret

Bret,

My opinion of the dovetails is this: they are too big, and "machine" spaced. I don't know what "London" pins are, so I can't comment on that.

The lines and proportions of your piece are outstanding, but the dovetails just jarred my eyes when I saw them. I know that they are a very strong joint, but perhaps blind dovetails would have been better, because this upset the flow of the piece.

Yes, if you would have had smaller dt's and ones that did not looked "machine spaced" it would have improved the overall look of the wonderful piece you made.

All in all, very very good, but . . . .

of course, must my opinion

best wishes
    MARK

Mark,

I cant' say I disagree with you except in the "importance" of the dovetails. I can take them or leave them. This is a first time build for this cabinet so I would re-evaluate it if I built it again. I might in fact leave off the exposed dovetails next time. You comments are valued and valid.

There are some other little minor things I might change also. Overall though, I feel the design is a success.

I ordered the glass today and have looked at some knobs. I'll post it again when it's 100% done.

Thanks, Bret

I love the contrasting wood. Gorgeous, and as you'll soon see when you step away from the project for the first time when it was complete you always see changes that should have been made but that doesn't take away from the beautiful piece you just made. I love the contrasting wood.

Hey Brett, you do some nice work!! I wish I only had the time instead of banging out full walls of cabinets.
    I like the contrast. For your curved moldings do you have a molder with the attachment that allows that or do you source it out? I do think the dovetails on the side are quite giant but the piece is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post

If you don't like the design please post your comments in this box [ ].

Thanks, Bret
    Love the humor........ nice touch.

The cabinet looks great --- careful matching of the wood grains shows well. The horizontal supports for the legs are nicely done -- a cool looking project!

Bret,
    I'm in love with this piece, it's going into my folder of "exactly what I like, copy this style!" (which I actually DO have!).

Here's what is most impressive to me: the interplay of the three curves-- the convex curve of the cabinet front, contrasted with the concave curve of the stretcher, and both tied by the concave curve of the legs. It's repeated in the crown. I seriously am enjoying just looking at it, it really sparks something with me.
    Added to that is the fact I'm a big fan of contrasting light/dark woods. Now, I usually don't like ash--the grain is too much for me generally, especially when contrasted with walnut, I'm expecting the white wood to be delicate and smooth. In fact, I didn't click the thread first time past, thinking "Bah, ash!". Second time past I saw your name and recalled I like your work, so here I am, and thankful for it. In this piece, it turns out I do like the ash.

Great work!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Sometime lurker, first time poster. I am just starting out on woodworking. And I gotta say, project like these were exactly the reason why I joined this site. Truly inspiring.

That is a beautiful design, Bret.

Craig,

The curved crown-cove is done on the tabled saw. Stack laminated and using a curved fence.

The curved edge mold is cut on a small shaper using a curved fence or I suppose you could use a rub bearing.

Bret

Here it is all done

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Bret
    p4080760.jpg

This is an elegant design regardless of the wood used. I personally like ash but have found it important to be highly selective when using it.

I would prefer smaller or blind dovetails.

Thanks for posting this beautiful project.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I totally agree with Mark Valsi above about the dovetails.
    As for the rest of the project, WOW. Outstanding use of the contrasting woods and the curved elements seem to be done very well. Great craftsmanship.