Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Walnut and White Ash Display Cabinet, Update

Black Walnut and White Ash Display Cabinet, Update

P3280757.jpgP3280755.jpgP3280756.jpg

Here are my latest progress photos. I have one coat of Wipe-on Poly so far. I need glass for the doors and shelves. I'm planning to light the inside. I also need to find or build and install the drawer and door pulls.

I designed and built this from scratch as I do all of my pieces. There are a couple of things I might change if I were to build it again but generally I'm very pleased with the design.

If you don't like the design please post your comments in this box [ ].

If you like the design please feel free to wax poetic with glowing compliments and testimonies of admiration and when you post your work I will do the same for you.

Thanks, Bret

Incredible! Krenov meets Federal Great design.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

It's beautiful. In the third photo where we see the walnut interior corner blocks, are those actually going all the way through the stretchers in some way to where we see the small walnut inserts on the outside corners? (i hope my question makes sense)

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    This cab is incredible
    And so are you.

(How's that for waxing poetic?)
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    That is coming along nicely. Beautiful form and a great wood selection.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's going to be one sweet piece when all finished Bret.

Glenn, That would have been cool but alas the little corner blocks simply hide the screws and are just glued in. I considered a loose mortise but didn't want to remove any wood from the legs at that point and possibly weaken them. The truss head screws in a shouldered hole seem to be the answer.

Bret

I love the look of the contrasting timbers. Really fine woodworking. It may just be my 56 year old eyes, but it looks like the front of the doors are curved and the rabbet/rabbit for the glass is straight. If it is, that's a nice way to save on the cost of curved glass. Nice touch.

Bret I was looking forward to some more pics of this project. Looks awesome, your contrasting wood style always looks great. The design of the cabinet is equally impressive.

Wow. You know when you look at that first picture (the one that shows the whole case) there is a serious optical illusion. I swear it looks like there is a panel in the door and it is shaded from dark at the top to light at the bottom. This would be a really cool effect for a panel and I actually spent some time trying to figure out how you did it (dye, veneer, sandshading, ???) then I read down your post and low and behold there is no panel there and you are going to put glass in it so it is just the shadows.

Really nice cabinet. Awesome, in fact.

~Todd

Bret - sorry to say I'm not going to be poetic in my comments - where is the beer? Last post you made you included a nice (I'm assuming, cold, bottle of beer). I figured it was your reward for a hard days work. Now, however, you have outdone yourself and neglected your reward. Very nice job by the way - the contrast in wood looks fantastic.

Bret, as usual, your work is outstanding and an inspiration. Thanks for posting and keep it up.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Bret - sorry to say I'm not going to be poetic in my comments - where is the beer? Last post you made you included a nice (I'm assuming, cold, bottle of beer). I figured it was your reward for a hard days work. Now, however, you have outdone yourself and neglected your reward. Very nice job by the way - the contrast in wood looks fantastic.
    Cheers to you Pat!

To All,

It is indeed a pleasure to receive these nice comments, thank you. I am happy you enjoy looking at my work. I'll keep building and posting.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin View Post
    Incredible! Krenov meets Federal Great design.
    You got it, thanks. I wanted a modern piece with traditional lines. I may have been successful.