Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Stationary Tools - You Too? Why?

Duplicate Stationary Tools - You Too? Why?

I would love to hear some comments related to people having duplicate stationary tools as well as some good reasons for such. My only large duplicates that sit out where they are always seen by my better-half is 2 bandsaws and 2 drill presses.

I probably have several dozen duplicate handheld ones that reside in places called "Out-of-sight; out-of-mind"....

Please share some good reasons with me. Thx.
    Kev

I could see multiple shapers if you do a lot of cabinet doors. I know a lot of people talk of multiple Bandsaws so they can scroll on one and resaw on another. Some people like a separate table saw for dados. I don't have multiples of anything. I don't have the space andsince it is a hobby I can afford the time it takes to change tooling.

Don,t ask me why but I have three "keeper" table saws. Bought a Shop Fox cabinet saw new about 8 years ago, a few years back a Clausing came to live at our house, and a month or two, Craftsman 27270 cabinet saw moved in.The Clausing does dado work, the SF, general stuff w/50 inch fence and the Craftsman,ah-- well, i'm sure I need it for something. Have had a lot of the Crapsman contractor type in, cleaned, adjusted or repaired (sometimes build a new fence or whatever they need) and sent down the road but can't bring myself to part with any of my three "babies".

I knew two brothers who owned a large commercial cabinet shop. They had several duplicate/triplicate machines set up to fabricate/cut out cabinet and other furniture.
    If I recall correctly, there were two table saw: ones for cross cutting/rippin; another for dadoing. Maybe three miter saws set at most commonly utilized angles to cut trim, etc. Two shapers set up, but I never saw them operating or asked them what they were set up for. They also had a shop-fabricated five router station to make all the cuts for a run of drawers of a particular size. Band saw was a rather large “Old Iron” type, and I believe that one wall held a panel saw. Numerous hand-held routers and sanders.
    As one brother told me: "time IS money" and anytrhing to decrease set up time, etc., saved money.

I have two floor model drill press. A craftsman and a jet. I bought the craftsman from an old man I felt sorry for. He raved about the thing on the phone but didn't know any of the info I was after so I went and looked at it. He pretty much begged me to buy it. Money wasn't a big problem at the time so I bought it. The chuck,the swing and table were two small so I later bought a larger jet drill press.

I was going to keep both my band saws but I just don't have the room. Did some one up above say they have 3 table saws? That would be pretty cool. One for dados, one for ripping and one for cross cuts.

I have 3 - 3+1/4 hp and a 2+1/2 hp plunge routers for some reason. It just kinda happened.

Blog Entries
    I'm right there with ya Kev; 2 bandsaws and 2 DPs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

At work (2 person workshop) we have duplicate spindle molders, router tables, jointers RASs, as well as a cabinet saw and a panel saw. If we had the space I would love another spindle, or three.
    Last edited by Sam Babbage; 04-02-2011 at 2:28 AM.

2 band saws (14" delta for curves/small work with 1/8" blade; 20" Agazzani with 3/4" resaw blade)
    2 table saws (Saw Stop and PM66, planning on PM66 for dado setup or selling it)
    2 router tables (end of PM66 with DW 621 3.25 hp and separate table wth DW 618)
    2 planers (PM209HH 20" shelix Planer, DW735 13.5" planer, just because I like the finish from the 13.5 and can't bear to sell it yet)
    2 Festool Rotex sanders (D90 and RO150)
    2 dust collectors (Oneida Pro2000 5HP, Delta 1.5HP)
    numerous hand power tool duplicates

I'm more of a case of upgraded tools but haven't gotten around to get rid of one yet...or maybe a better way to say it is, my wife hasn't kicked me out of her part of the garage err.. shop... yet.
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 04-02-2011 at 3:16 AM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Mine is not a hobby, so my reason is always that I need it for business......

Three tablesaws, two planers, two drill presses, two bandsaws, two shapers, two jointers, but there are a lot of things I only have one of.

My wife does not ever question what I do. I am lucky that she does not consider something I buy for the shop money she could use somewhere else, its just another tool and part of doing business. My ex was that way, but anthing that was saved was put into her horses. Now there is a great investment.

Two table saws, a Delta and a PM66, two Dp's, need another woodmaster, and another bandsaw, but don't have the room.

I can understand multiple bandsaws and tablesaws; why two drill presses?

Mike

Three bandsaws;

1. Vintage 14" Delta wood/metal that I use for metal and other household / carpentry cutting.
    2. 14" Delta for curves and joinery cuts.
    3. MM20 for ripping and re-sawing.

i am turning green with envy ,here in thailand i cannot find many of the machines you are all talking about and the ones i can find are usualy of very poor quality ,still this place does have its compensations though not woodwork related

2 bandsaws, a 14" Rikon and an 18" Rikon, two lathes, a Jet 1642-2 and a Rikon mini. I don't use the Rikon mini much anymore, maybe for sanding some stuff off the lathe, and occasionally I set it up with a wire brush to do some "relicing" on a vase.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Space prevents me from multiples but there are a few I would have in a heartbeat if I woke up to a three times larger shop one morning. I don't do enough repetitive work to justify alot of what has been admitted to in this thread! I would confess that it is easier to buy than sell so duplicates are easy to generate. Lately I have been very diligent about selling a replaced or unused tool, it feels good but about 50% of the time I have pangs of regret.

Lately as I start to do more "corporate skunkworks" type projects I have really cast off old tools and methods and budgeted for better tooling on my new machines - companies and their deeper pockets can afford me this luxury, individuals less so.

If mutilples help you work more efficiently then they make sense, if not then they don't; unless we're talking about sentimental value or "collectivitis".