Thread: Quick tip when using drafting trianges.

Quick tip when using drafting trianges.

One of the first things I learned on this site was using drafting triangles in the shop. They are very accurate and very handy for setting up tools and checking for squareness.

I have 2, 16" Alvins and they do get use a lot for setting and checking the table saw and checking the squareness of different projects.

The one thing that I didn't like about using them was trying to pick them up when they are flat on the table saw. It is also harder to move them around and hold them against the miter gauge to get an accurate setting.

Here is my quick fix, it works very well and you can move them around on the table much easier and pick them right up.

Just cut 3, strips of wood 1/2" thick, it can be just about any wood you have, even MDF. With some turners tape attach them to one side of the triangle and that's it.

P4025555.jpg

As you can see there is just not a lot space to pick them up with and moving them around is not that easy also.

P4025557.jpg P4025554.jpg

After you have added the strips of wood it ismuch easier to pick up and use. You can now hold them against the miter gauge for a more accurate setting.

P4025558.jpg P4025556.jpg

Good idea, Bill. Thanks.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Where did you get that size? All the ones I see locally are the smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Rick, I don't remember, I do know it was some drafting supply place on-line.

Quick google of "alvin drafting triangle" brought this up

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalo...triangles.html

Theirs go up to 14" in the color Bill shows, they also have stainless, etc... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I found them on Sears web site, that is not were I got mine. I got them from a drafting supply site on line, I think they were only like $16 each.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...69002P?prdNo=7

Thanks guys. I guess I was being lazy.

Blog Entries
    If you get "inking" triangles,they will have a small offset on both sides (it prevents ink from wicking under the triangle from capillary action). It's not nearly the same as a 1/2" block, but it's enough to get a fingernail under, certainly moreso than a standard flat triangle.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5