Thread: Powermatic PM2800 Drill Press Problems

Powermatic PM2800 Drill Press Problems

Got two new toys this weekend and am having trouble with the first one I put together. Have the PM2800 Drill Press assembled and plugged in but nothing works. The RPM display indicates "0" so I have power but the lasers, lights and drill itself do not work. There is no noise from the motor at all. Any ideas? I already delayed assembly due to a crack in the cast column the post goes into at the base which had to be replaced.

Jerry,

Can you lower the quill and give it a bit of a shake. You may be surprised by the amount of slop. My point is that there are a lot of reasons to NOT keep this machine. IMO Powermatic machines are overpriced and often of poor quality. IMO they are gliding on their reputation for quality while palming off inferior machines at higher prices. They are China-made and it shows. This is my honest opinion. Why would you keep a "new" machine that has already had one major flaw and does not even start?

Jerry first things first,welcome to the site where you will find other ww'ers who are eager to help and sometimes give opinions.I have never seem that DP but it sounds like more is needed.You have it plug in so the display shows that by showing 0 rpms,something else needs to tell it to rampup to a higher rpm setting for what ever your drilling.
    Jerry back to forum unwritten rules,there is no DP unless there's pics and I don't see pics.At SMC,all loves pics
    Welcome again and congrads on your purchase-----Carroll

Could it be wired for 220 and not 110, not sure that would do it but sometimes the way they do the internal wiring could make a difference.

But like has been stated by Michael its almost to the point of sending the thing back, I just don't think you should have that much trouble with a new drill press that cost like that one does.

This clearly defines my reasons for not purchasing this DP. The PM had a lot of great reviews, but there were as many on the negative side that turned me off. Truly a good engineered product, but the lack of workmanship in assembly is killing it, bigtime . I'm like Bill, need to do a voltage check here. And also if the wires are grouped with Marr connectors, check there as well. Something loose. In the end, you should do like I did and get the Delta 18-900L. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It was flawless. One of Delta's finest. And don't forget pics, like I did.

The two big reasons that I returned my PM2800 for a Delta 17-959L were:

1- Table crank and rack mechanism. I would look at your table mechanism and if it has the same problem that the earlier ones do, I would consider returning the unit for something else.

2- Variable speed mechanism. The unit would not go down to its rated minimum RPM unless I removed the top cover. My rpm gauge also showed that the unit was turning faster than the unit showed on the display.

I really tried to like this unit but with hindsight I can see that a unit with those features and good quality would need to cost at least double the price of these units. More is probably realistic.

Thanks for the welcome Carroll. I actually joined the forum way back in 2007 but only got around to making my first post: better late than never I guess. I'll keep the photo thing in mind but there's not much to show at the moment. Converting the garage from a motorcycle garage to a wood shop a little at a time. I've already talked to my dealer and he said if Powermatic doesn't have a quick fix he'll just swap out the head of the unit with one in his inventory. Art at Fries, Beall & Sharp Inc. in Lorton VA has been great to work with. Calling Powermatic this afternon, I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

Well I talked to the PM tech guys and they sent me the two parts that could cause the problem. I replaced the controller and the problem persisted. I then replace the main switch and now the drill works like a champ. I haven't noticed any of the problems discussed and I'm impressed with PM's tech support...although it should be available on weekends. Thanks again to all who responded.