Thread: wooden breifcase for Mason apron

wooden breifcase for Mason apron

I am looking for a little advice or thoghts from anyone who may have built a wooden briefcase or has any ideas on one. I am looking to build myself and a friend a briefcase for our aprons and have on the other side possibly some storage for other materials. I am thinking i would felt the inside and have a belt like in luggage so that the apron does not slide around. Any ideas thoughts plans out there????

Bill in NS
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

Blog Entries
    Google is your friend. Try a search for wooden briefcase plans and you'll get lots of places to look at. Here's one. Wooden Briefcase

Lee
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Lee I tried that as google and me are always best of friends, however most of the links are dead out there and the rockler one is not sold anymore I dont think. I was hoping someone had made one before or knew how too. thanks for the help!
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

Rather than a belt I would make a divider plate, kinda like a clothes press. A thin leather hinge in the bottom of the case and a nice linen covering on both surfaces to keep the apron clean and flat. I think felt or velour would rub off on the apron making it fuzzy and dirty looking.

When you get right down to it, a briefcase is basically a box, so standard box construction techniques apply. What sets them apart is the interior design. I suggest going to luggage or office supply stores and examine the briefcases they carry. Personally, I wouldn't put felt inside the briefcase. I would use leather or fabric, with a thin layer of padding underneath to give it a little "loft".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sanson View Post
    Hi Lee I tried that as google and me are always best of friends, however most of the links are dead out there and the rockler one is not sold anymore I dont think. I was hoping someone had made one before or knew how too. thanks for the help!
    I did another search this morning for "wooden briefcase" and there are lots of active links with design ideas, sorry I didn't see any kits or plans. I did find this link where you might get some help. Wooden Briefcase
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another source of ideas might be musical instrument cases. Cheap ones are like the construction of sausages...you might not really want to know what's inside.

I would finger-joint or dovetail the corners ( have never seen dovetails on an instrument case but dovetails work better than almost anything for joining thin case sides ) then glue plywood or suitable cardboard to the frame as top and bottom. Cover with paper, cloth, leather. The hinges are a special consideration with thin sides.
    I haven't done it, but always thought several layers of very thin ply or laminates would make for an excellent front and back. I have also made several model boat shells from basswood and then fiber glassed them.

Mason's Logo 003.jpgYou might want to do an inlay on it like the one I did on this box.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214