Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 66 table saw

Blog Entries

Question Powermatic 66 table saw

There is a Powermatic 66 for sale near me for $200.
    Is that a good saw?
    Is that a good price?
    It's 220v which I have in my shop but I'd have to get another line run
    Thanks
    Dennis

1 - yes. definitely a good saw - generally speaking, that is............
    2 - no way to tell from here - could be the deal of the century, or could be a complete waste of 200 bucks. HP? Age? Condition? Does it even start? Runout? Vibration? Wings? Rails and fence? Surface rust doesn' matter - that cleans up with some elbow grease - but out-and-out serious corrosion is a different critter.

Others may have a different view, but seems to me that a PM66 in the 10-yr-old range that is in reasonable shape would sell for a few multiples of that number. Unless the spouse got this in the divorce settlement and is just twisting the knife
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Potentially and maybe? It is potentially a good saw and it may be a good price, but it all depends on condition. I have a 66 and I like mine very much. I use several at work that are going on 30 years old and still work like champs after daily use in a cabinet shop and only basic maintenance. You have to check out the specific machine you are looking at, make sure the bearings are good, make sure nothing is bent or hosed, motor works. Though at that price I'd be willing to add my own motor if e rest were good.

It is worth much more than that for parts, so you can't loose.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    . Unless the spouse got this in the divorce settlement and is just twisting the knife
    Funny, I've heard about those "she got it in the divorce and is screwing with him" sales, but for that to work she has to know it's worth more and sell it for less on purpose. Which makes me wonder, after a divorce just how many women do you know that wouldn't rather have top dollar for his valuables than the satisfaction of giving them away? Given my experience with women and money, there aren't many that would sell a $2000 saw for $200. That's a man thing. The ex will more likely get $1800 for his saw then show him what she bought. with the money!

Now the occasional estate sale bargain sure does exist where thhe wife is just happy somebody will be using her husbands old tools, I've seen that first hand. But the divorce sale I think is largely an urban legend.

I bought a new arbor assembly for a PM66 directly from PM for $90, so I wouldn't say bad bearings or bent arbor are a big deal at that price. I think these PM66s share the "one of the top two" cabinet saws honors with the unisaw. It's hard to find one used for less than $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Funny, I've heard about those "she got it in the divorce and is screwing with him" sales, but for that to work she has to know it's worth more and sell it for less on purpose. Which makes me wonder, after a divorce just how many women do you know that wouldn't rather have top dollar for his valuables than the satisfaction of giving them away? Given my experience with women and money, there aren't many that would sell a $2000 saw for $200. That's a man thing. The ex will more likely get $1800 for his saw then show him what she bought. with the money!

Now the occasional estate sale bargain sure does exist where thhe wife is just happy somebody will be using her husbands old tools, I've seen that first hand. But the divorce sale I think is largely an urban legend.
    Not an urban legend at all...my ex, used to delight in letting me know how much of my stuff she had gotten rid of for pennies on the dollar. The last straw was when my old Pan Head showed up at a local tavern ridden by a braggart who let everyone know that he had gotten it(as a gift) from some dumb xxxxx who was trying to get back at her ex. That one cost me thirty days in county for disturbing the peace.
    Mick

What CPeter said! PM66 RULEZ! For $200, the PM66 may need lots of work. But, in the end, you will have one Primo 10" cabinet saw. If nothing else, it is a great investment in parts.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

For $200, I would jump on it even if it needed a new motor, arbor, and fence. And chance are it doesn't....hurry up and get it, or someone else will!

You said it's 220 volt. Make sure it's not 220-3 phase (unless you have 3 phase). I tried for 37 years to wear out a PM66 in a cabinet shop. Never did, so I jsut retired and let the younger guys try to. It's a great saw....get it!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

At that price, I suspect that it's no longer for sale. It's probably also a well-used 3-phase machine, but as others have said, it's worth that price even for parts.

I bought a NEW 66 in '91, and if that ad was in Texas, it would already be sitting in, (or on it's way) to either my shop or my daughter's garage, (which is 360 miles from MY shop). At that price I wouldn't care about arbor, bearings OR whether it was single or three phase, (and I don't have three phase power either).

Note: Should it need a new arbor kit, (which includes bearings, arbor nut and a better arbor washer), the new arbor also has flats (that the old ones did not have), on the back side of the blade to be able to use two wrenches to loosen and tighten the arbor nut.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Peter,

Recently the world of economics was turned on its head...I think a Nobel Prize resulting even...when one of its principle foundations (straight from Adam Smith) was shown to be false -- that individuals DO NOT always act in their best self interest. Or at least they may be confused about what their self interests are. To wit, a woman scorned might very well be willing to pay $1500-$2000 to piss on her ex's most cherished tool.

I once had a colleague who went through a messy divorce. A year or so after he moved away from his family in with the other woman, my colleague asked vaguely if I had any interest in the game of golf. I said yeah it had seemed like fun the few times a rode along with a friend. She said great! There are a set of clubs in my foyer that you are yours for the taking. I responded that I had some issues...no interest being party to her anger, clubs might not fit (I am only 5'4"), she could sell them and that it just seemed like bad Karma...and golf, like woodworking, is a form meditation. She said: 1) he hasn't come back for any personals much less his clubs in a year 2) he wasn't too much taller than you 3) I've got better things to do with my time and 4) if you don't come take them by 7:30 tonight I'm putting them on the corner of 81st and Broadway (space is tight in an NYC apt) with a bunch of other stuff...do what you want.

I've seen it on CL yesterday, sent an email and still waiting for the response. Wanted to get it for that price as a second saw to my slider, but some one had to beat me to it, posting is gone

Lots of "big ones" get away while this forum is polled as to whether the prospective buyer should spend or not. You gotta go with your gut for a PM66 at $200! Snooze...you Looze!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!