Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many routers do you own?

How many routers do you own?

Or maybe it should ask - how many is enough?

Or.... how many is too many? (I know, a rhetorical question)

My wife shakes her head every time I mention I 'need' another router.

I am guessing I am on the low end for this site:

1 big Porter Cable mounted in a table
    2 standard Porter Cables
    1 standard Dewalt
    1 Dremel (a little adaptor to use a dremel like a router - works great for small precision hinge mounting)

Thats it! Clearly I need a couple more, especially one of the small palm routers.

Oh... and I have a shaper table top/motor project that needs put together to make another usable one.

I will say, there are few projects I do that doesnt give the table router a good workout - I have as much in it as I paid for the table saw.

I currently own 3 which imho is 3 too many. It is one of my least favorite tools and I sincerely wish I could find a way to do certain tasks so as to not require a router. Of the three, the one that I would get rid of last is my Bosch Colt that I reach for most to do things like inlays, hinge mounting etc.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

1 - Freud 1700 w/fixed and plunge base.
    1- Ryobi 1.5 HP
    1 - Craftsman 1.5 HP
    1 - PC 690

3 - Dremel tools, a 200, 300 and 400 & both the plunge attachment and the table attachment
    1 - Roto Zip
    I have a feeling I'm leaving one or two out....

There's always a need for another router or some sort of specialty base.

I'd love to see Bosch come out with a decent base of some sort for the RotoZip. W/it's "D" handle and a good sub base it would rock for a lot of those tight places a normal or even trim router has trouble doing. Places like between a backsplash and a sink cutout.

4 for me

bosch palm router
    milwaukee 1/2hp
    pc 7518 for my router table
    festool 1010

They all get used

Four:
    PC 7518 dedicated to the table
    PC 8529 plunge that the speed control buned out. Wired direct for full speed now, but need to get an outboard speed control for it to make it more versatile.
    Hitachi non plunge (M12 I think) that came as a freebie/rebate when I bought my Hitachi SCMS Black and Decker from 1987 or so that I chose as a prize from an installation contest where I worked at the time.
    The B&D has been fired up once in the last 10 years, just to see if it still ran. Man that thing is a screamer!! The 7518 hasn't been used out of the RT since it was built. Don't use the 8529 much unless I have to have a plunge cut. I'd use the Hitachi exclusively for hand held stuff if it had a plunge base to go with it. It's nice and small and good power (2.25) for a handheld unit. It does all of the laminate trim I've done for shop fixtures.
    Would love to have a small laminate trimmer. Maybe that will be my next one. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

6 each and 1 roto zip for me....

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have 10.

2 Porter Cable 690's
    1 Porter Cable 891
    1 Bosch 1613
    1 Hitachi M12V
    1 Porter Cable Laminate Trimmer
    1 Bosch Colt
    1 Brand New Dewalt 611 Compact I haven't used yet
    1 Old Black and Decker I haven't used in years
    1 Old Craftsman I haven't used in years
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Blog Entries
    I have two matching Hitachi routers. One in the router table, one hand held. I would prefer to have none. It is my least favorite tool. But some jobs are just plain easier with one.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I only have 3 routers.

I have a Bosch 1617 in the router table.
    A Bosch 1617 in the cabinet with a fixed and plunge base.
    A Dewalt 611 in the cabinet with a fixed and plunge base.

I have an extra fixed base for the Bosch, I will pull the router out of the table and put it in the fixed base to use on the dovetail jig. This way I can set up both Bosch routers when doing dovetails, one for the straight bit and one for the dovetail bit.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 04-03-2011 at 2:00 PM.

Four for me:

Festool OF1400 for handheld use.
    Porter Cable 7518 in my router table in a Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift with a Wixey Digital heightgauge.
    Black and Decker sitting in a storage unit, not ever used for about a decade.
    Dewalt DW618PK that I have set up for a PC dovetail jig, and rarely use also.

I need something like a Bosch Colt or new Dewalt compact.

I could see easily being happy with 3 - The Festool, the PC in the router table, and a compact.

2 Bosch Colts,
    2 Bosch 1613EVS
    1 Bocsh 1617EVS
    1 Festool OH1400

n+1, or ... I have one too few, and always will ;-)

• Milwaukee 5625-20 -- lives under the table, and is just incredible. Sits in a Woodpecker PRL lift
    • Ryobi RE180PL plunge. Actually a darned fine tool ! Will soon become the dedicated router for the P-C dovetail jig
    • Brand spankin' ..... Bosch 1617EVSPK 2-1/4 HP fixed/plunge combo, with Whiteside quick release collet. Bought the bushing adapter to allow me to use it with my P-C template bushings. I have the distinct feeling that I'm going to LOVE this router

Yeah. A laminate or trim or ... similar small router -- likely a DeWalt -- is probably in my future.

Routers is yet another category of tool where I consider us to be VERY lucky. There are a TON of VERY good options, out there.

And I'd like them all ....

PC 7518 dedicated for router table use.

PCR 690, PC 100 (the ol' 7/8 HP unit), and DeWalt 621 for hand heldwork.

Also an older PC laminate trimmer.

I found that when working with dovetails jigs, having two routers set up (one with the straight bit; the other with the dovetail) will save time.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 04-03-2011 at 12:24 PM.

6 for me....

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"