Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I get Madrone burl and Maple burl in Washington

Where do I get Madrone burl and Maple burl in Washington

Wednesday, the LOML and I will comence traveling through the State of Washington to Vancouver Island BC. Our travels take us through the Tri Cities, Yakima, Mount Vernon, Vancouver Island, Port Angeles, and down to Portland. Does anybody know of sources on that general path where we might find some madrone burl and big leaf maple bowl blanks?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Gilmer in Portland is likely one of the greater collections of expensive wood for sale in the US. Check out gilmerwood.com to see if that's what you're after. I've never been, but I won't go to Portland without seeing it.

Although he's in NC(?) Mike Smith is legendary on this forum for BLM and lots of other woods. Several of us can get you his contact info on your return if you like. Have a great trip...should be a great time of year for a drive!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Targo Woods in Bellingham would be worth a look. Their website isn't always reflective of what they have in stock as supplies come and go fairly rapidly.
    http://www.targowoods.com/index.html

You might try Oregon Burls. Not sure where it is but a friend here in north Idaho bought some and shared some of it. It was actually madrone burl and it was awesome to turn.

Contact the turners clubs in the area. Dale Larson, one of our AAW officers (In Gresham, OR which is Portland area) turns a lot of madrone. You might be able to get hold of him. Gilmers will probably have some maple burl, but they are not cheap.

robo hippy

Reed is right, check with Dale Larson. You may try Dave Schweitzer too in Shelton, WA. Dave is our local contact for burls. He has a guy that comes up from Oregon, I believe Dale uses the same guy.

When you are in the Tri-Cities, you wont be far from Walla Walla, and Jensens Hardwoods. I don't know if he does, or does not have these woods, but he does have a great selection of turning blanks. His prices are very reasonable, and he is a heck of a nice person.

NW Woods (NorthWest Woods) in Tacoma should have BFM
    Eden Saw in Port Townsend (and Tacoma) will have BFM burl (they did when I was there last week)

We (the local club) just had both delivered at Dave Schweitzer's (D-Ways tools, and he is on this forum) just a few weeks ago. I know all the Madrone sold ($1/pound, wet)

Unfortunately I have none to spare (of the Burl anyway, lots of plan old BF Maple though)

BTW, DONT buy the wood north-bound. Canada will seize any firewood as you cross the border (if its preped in bowl-blanks they probably will not)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

As Ralph mentioned, NW Woods: http://www.nwwood.com
    Check out their website. They have much more than they list on the site. They have a mill and drying kilns as well. They are located about 5 miles off of I-5 as you are going south. Good luck on your search. I live about 10 miles from them and check in from time to time as their stock changes. It would be good to call them to make sure someone is there when you plan to go.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Gilmer in Portland is likely one of the greater collections of expensive wood for sale in the US. Check out gilmerwood.com to see if that's what you're after. I've never been, but I won't go to Portland without seeing it.
    I am scared to go to Gilmer, but probably will anyway. Their selection can't be beat, but their prices can. The wife is a aficionado of good wood. She can sniff out the most beautiful wood through 10 feet of concrete. I guess that is what happens when you grow up in a lumberyard. I'm afraid the car won't hold all she wants, and I know the wallet won't go for it. You're right about it being expensive. NW Woods looks good, and seems affordable. They are just a bit off the beaten path, but maybe there will be time. Won't be too far from Targo. I can't see much from their website. It is frustrating to get around. I won't even look in Canada. I really won't have time, and it will just get confiscated anyway. In 10 days, if I get any treasures, I'll post them here.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

You might look up North Woods in Forest Grove OR. Not sure exactly where that is.
    http://www.nwfiguredwoods.com/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

http://d-waytools.com/shop.html
    Brian, the top picture is the burl that we get from Jay Parameter 541-659-4388 he is located in southern Oregon. It is getting late in the season the burl does not like warm weather. A wet piece 6" x 12" X 12" will weight around 60 lbs. The picture of the bowls on this page is what I turned from that trip.

Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Schweitzer; 04-05-2011 at 1:25 PM.
    Dave Schweitzer
    D-Way Tools

Dave---Those pieces on the trailer look like mastodon feet, really BIG mastodon feet!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

http://urbanlumbercompany.com/

This guy rescues wood from urban sprawl. He has an eye for special pieces. I stop here when business gets me to Washington with an extra suitcase.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'