Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool chest

Tool chest

Got to reading about the Seaton tool chest below.
    For some time now I have been wanting to build a chest for the old tools I have collected over the years. Would like it to be a tool kit of sorts. Not just a box to hold everything. For example, it would hold a hand plane not the 20 I have.

Would like to see what others have made. What seems to be the ideal size. ETC.....
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    You didn't attach the picture or Link you were referring to.

Studley made this ... click here

Although it takes three people to carry it

I recommend that you buy Jim Tolpin's book on tool chests. It contains a good survey of historical and current types. The North Bennett Street School chests the students make seems like they might be a better fit for you than traditional tool chests, which were intended to hold all of the owners' tools. However, if you are interested in the latter you might look at the one Chris Schwarz made on the PWW site.

2nd that ^
    Great book.
    Steven Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    You didn't attach the picture or Link you were referring to.

Sorry, I was referring to a thread that was below mine at the time. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...l-Chest-Router
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Margeson View Post
    I recommend that you buy Jim Tolpin's book on tool chests. It contains a good survey of historical and current types. The North Bennett Street School chests the students make seems like they might be a better fit for you than traditional tool chests, which were intended to hold all of the owners' tools. However, if you are interested in the latter you might look at the one Chris Schwarz made on the PWW site.

Thanks for the info,

I was looking at POP WOOD site and could not find what you were referring to. Do you happen to have a link?
    - Rick Dale

Third, fourth and fifth tolpin's book.. if you like looking at tool chests / cabinets (or are considering building one; there's one in my future) it's perfect inspiration and idea material!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

The chest, empty will be substantial.
    I made a simple tool box, following Tom Fidgen's design. It was built entirely with hand tools.
    From this project, I gleaned two notions - hand cutting dovetails is easier in practice than theory, bandsaws were invented for a reason (resawing is a tedious chore).

Straight from the plans, the dimensioned stock - alone - weighed nearly 9 pounds.
    I reduced the thickness where possible by 1/2, which has no doubt compromised strength but I can carry it from the car with tools without assistance.

The Seaton chest will require several strong backs to shift, if each drawer carries a tool.

Fidget box rear.jpgFidget box front.jpgFidget box compartments.jpgInset base.jpg

I've assumed the Masters with these big boxes had a couple of indentured apprentices whose job it was to lug them around. <s>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Chest

I have half of a two car garage currently home to a 12 foot boat project. If you offered me the old masters original tool chest I'd have to turn it down. If I can't hang it from the ceiling it doesn't get in.

I just attended an event a few days ago with Chris Schwarz and he is coming out with a new book on tool chest called the Anarchists Tool Chest. One of the things he mentioned is that the Seaton chest he built has not held up well and has several issues with how you work out of a chest. He spent half a day talking about tool chests. The book is coming out of Lost Art Press and not the POPWOOD. You can read about it here: http://lostartpress.wordpress.com/ca...ts-tool-chest/

-Gary

I wouldn't want to have the Seaton tool chest...I'm too much of a slob for all that. I built a lame wall hung cabinet for space reasons only, but I'm thinking about making a tool chest to put under the bench instead. All that organization seems a little anal to me.

My big problem with chests is that the top surface makes a perfect place to set things. Even the chest from age 9 that my grandfather used to get me started as a woodworker which sits under my bench has wood scraps sitting on it. Drawers work best in my case.
    But in response to the OP, it's hard to find the spot between too heavy and too small. I'm finding even the 20-30 pound chests too heavy to push around the shop. So, weight is the limiting factor for me.