Thread: Trey Ceiling PLan

Trey Ceiling PLan

Hello Everyone ... haven't been on in a while trying to build a new home.

Have been searching everywhere on the Net for Trey Ceiling Plan. Anyone know where I might find this??

Ken, I tried to do a search and found a few possible sites that might give you some ideas but with my dial up connection it was quite slow. You might try searching "tray ceiling" instead of "trey". Also try "coffered ceiling" since in some places that's what it is called.

Ken,

I am a custom home builder so I can probably help if I know exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunatly, ceiling have drastically different names in different parts of the country. If you are looking for the ceiling that has a bunch of little boxes that is one thing. If you are looking or a ceiling that has one big box, that is another. In our area the large box is a tray ceiling. The other does not get used much but some call it a coffered ceiling although most around here consider a coffered ceiling to be one where it slopes up on all sides like a reverse hip. As you can see the nomenclature can be very confusing. Describe what you want and I will see if I can help.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

A Big Box ...

Its not the coffered ceiling ... planning that approach in my office .. used that once before and it works really well.

Ceilings are 10'rs ... like to come down about a foot (maybe use a 2x10 as the wall anchor??) then horizontal an appropriate distance and make a vertical return ... some of the ones i've seen make the inside return slanted which looked pretty nice. Others I've seen are "double treys" where it makes a couple of steps back up on the inside vertical. Some are even elliptical ...

The framing can't be that difficult ... but I am working with a diasadvantaged imagination ... don't necessarily have to have a plan ... but the need to see how its framed is absolute... so that I can draw my own plan on a grocery bag

Wouldn't want that sucker to fall down during the middle of the night....

Framing Pic

Ken,
    While I'm not sure this qualifies as a true tray ceiling, here's how my bedroom is being framed.
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ted,

That is what we call a coffered ceiling around here. Not sure if that is what Ken is looking for.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Ken,

Here is a plan I quickly threw together to try to illustrate how to frame what we call a "tray ceiling" around here. If this is not what you are looking for, let me know.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Curtis, Dave, Ted ...

thanks for going to so much trouble to try to help out.

Curtis ... I'm "dried in" as of Friday and its a 2 story with 2x4 wallstuds tied to 16" mfg. 2nd story floor joists ... whatever I do will have to be built down from the existing ceiling and tied to the 2x4 16" OC wall studs. I"m subbing this house out myself as I have 2 prior .. so my framers have left which leaves it up to me to frame .... I guess. I'll post a couple of pics later today and maybe a look will give you an idea?? also noted your comments in another post about Hardiboard not being waterproof ... care to elaborate??? That's the siding of choice on this house.

Ted ... your framing looks feasible ... 16" centers?? Hate to ask ... but can you get a broader perspective of how that all ties together across the room??

Dave ... you're right .. seems from the "tray" search that's the most common way of spelling ... but scanned through about 15 pages of Google results but no plans or framing ideas.

Thanks to all ....

Ken,
    This is how the right side of the framing looks. I'll run out to the house today and see if I can get some better shots. I've been using photos for "as builts" since my builder doesn't believe in spending money on anything so foolish as a detailed plan set. In fact, this house is being built "reversed" ie. if you look at the plans everything is a mirror image of what is being built. I guess it's a common practice, but it makes it hard for us to visualize and watching the plummer hold the plans up to the light and looking at them from the back does not instill confidence that everything will be where it should be--witness the kitchen sink plumbing sticking out of the floor 3' from where it should be!!

Ted,

Sounds like your builder is not fulfulling your expectations. I can not believe the guys that will try to build a house mirrored without at least taking the plan to Kinko's and getting it copied in reverse. I would not even consider building a house without a COMPLETE plan exactly as it is to be built, let alone trying to reverse it int he field. Believe me, it is not common to do this int he field. I hope all works out well for you. Good luck.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Ken,

Is the look you are after similar to what I provided the plan for or more like the picture Ted has provided? Let me know and I will draw a plan accodingly to fit what you need to do. Ted's is what we call a coffered ceiling where it is angled up. What I gave you is what we call a tray where the uprights are 90 degrees up. Both can be done at your stage in the game but Ted's would be considerable less expensive and easier to do.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

More Photos

Ken,
    Here's a couple more that I took this afternoon. Tough to get a shot of the whole room. One of the pics looks the length of the room with the outside wall on the left and some 2x4's scabbed onto the rafters to accomodate insulation venting. The other is from the adjacent great room and shows the framing structure from the side. Spacing of the overhead components seems to be dictated by rafter spacing and I don't know if it's 16" or more, but you can see how it compares to the wall studs. I Hope these help.

Curtis,
    That's exactly what I did. Scanned the plan, brought it into Corel, mirrored it, brought it into AutoCad, scaled it added dimension lines per the original and gave it to any sub that I ran into that wanted it. Nobody turned me down. Problem is the market here. It's crazy. Builders can do things they wouldn't dare do if it was a buyers market.
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-30-2005 at 4:57 PM.

Take a look at the Drywall Suspension System from USG. I am familar with this concept. It's far easier (cheaper too) then tradtional wood or metal soffit construction.

http://www.usg.com/Product_Index/_pr...&vGreenLink=25

Scroll all the way down to 'USG Drywall Suspension System, For Flat Drywall Ceilings' then click on system catalog. Page 12 of the PDF describes what you are trying to do. These products are not available from the borgs. You will have to get them from a 'real' drywall dealer.

Couple of Photos

of the ceiling ... with the 2nd story floor trusses showing

[/IMG]

[IMG]

LOML wants to stick with 90* angles even though I believe the 45*'s would be easier on me ...

Curtis ... can you help with this??
    Last edited by Ken Wright; 01-30-2005 at 8:07 PM. Reason: incomplete