Thread: Sargent Plane Rehab

Sargent Plane Rehab

Hello All!

About a month ago, I decided to use the machine shop at school to rehab a hand plane handed down to me through 4 generations.

The plane is a Sargent, but I am not sure which specific one it is. The blade is 1.75 inches wide. The sole is 2.125 x 9.125 inches. The lever cap says SARGENT with VBM below it. If you know what this is, please tell me.

It is a miracle that this plane survived my childhood. My brother and I did anything and everything that you are not supposed to do with a plane. Also, two generations were never into woodworking and it might as well have ended in the garbage for them.

To rehab the plane, I started by leveling the sole on a surface grinder. The sole was about 0.005 out of flat and was not concave at any point as if by design. I took just enough off to smooth the sole (0.006).
    Plane Rehab 1.jpgPlane Rehab 2.jpg

The next step was to square up the sides to the sole. I used an angle plate to secure to properly square the sole to the table. The side was not as out of flatness as the base, but still needed work at 0.003.

Plane Rehab 3.jpg

The opposite side cleaned up as easily as the first. It was out of flat at about 0.003 too.

Plane Rehab 4.jpg

Once all three sides were flat and square, I used a stone to break all of the edges. I then used a CMM to check how well my efforts worked out. The sole was now flat to within 0.0005 inches and the sides were perpendicular to within 0.0003 inches and parallel to each other within 0.001. I'm guessing that the "considerable" error on the parallelism is due to a stray burr on the magnetic clamp.

I also went ahead and tried to flatten the blade. The issue that presenteded itself here was the blade quickly heated up and deformed under the heat. I decided to only flatten the last 1/2 inche of the blade that did not come in contact with the frog or the chip breaker. I then sharpened the blade on my stones at home.

The plane began to rust within a few days of me flattening it. I used a rust remover to get rid of the oxidation and then applied a coat of wax to all bare metal surfaces. This seems to have stopped the rust.

Plane Rehab 5.jpg

The result is a plane that will make hard maple shavings 0.0003 thick! I am thoroughly satisfied with the result of my efforts. Prior to taking this project on, I attempted to tune this plane with a sheet of sandpaper on glass, but my effort seemed futile.

Total time invested: 5 hours
    Result: A tool that will hold its own against a Lee Valley and Lie Neilsen.
    Other Conclusions: When will Woodcraft start selling surface grinders?
    Last edited by Allan Froehlich; 04-03-2011 at 8:39 PM.

Thats cheating

I sure miss being able to work and just the surface grinder and 50HP sand blaster..
    Those where the days

Check my website out for refinishing info..
    I use Dupi-color semi-gloss black ENGINE paint not high heat from most auto parts stores
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Nice job. I used the surface grinder at my work on two of my planes. It's an old hunk-o-junk, and I would have been better off just doing sandpaper on granite.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

The picture is a little fuzzy but isn't the bed marked 408? That would be the model #.

Hmm. Funny I never paid attention to that. The plane is circa 1920.