Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of small scratches on cast iron tables

Removal of small scratches on cast iron tables

OK – somehow I got some small scratches on my band saw and table saw cast iron tops . They look to be only light scratches – I tried rubbing them with another coat of Johnson’s paste wax but no luck. Any ideas how to remove them or should I just leave well enough alone ?

Removal of small scratches....if these scratches are minor/small and barely noticeable, I would clean them with a ROS and some #200 grit sandpaper and WD-40 and call it done and forget them! Small scratches are in-evitable on cast iron top tools and machines, you'll work yourself to death and worry about it forever for nothing...not worth it in my opinion. After sanding, clean up well and re wax the top a couple of times and then you are ready to work again!
    Hope this helps.......Jim Heffner

Steel wool can get some scratches out. An angle grinder with a cup brush wheel will certainly remove scratches.

The problem with any abrading is that you will be left with a dull spot that needs to be buffed to match the rest of the top.

Personally, unless the scratch prevents smooth movement, I'd leave it. It's like the stainless steel sink we got 10 years ago in our kitchen. Eventually it accumulates enough scratches that it looks nice and even.

Doug,

If the scratches are such that they're scratching the underside of your work, then you'll have to smooth them out. But if they're just scratches -- cosmetic flaws, in other words -- don't worry about it. These are tools, after all, not the furniture you'll be making on them.

Way back then, I bought a brand new 1973 Ford pickup ($2650 off the dealer's lot!); a friend told I ought to take a piece of firewood and give one of the sidewalls a good bash, just so that I could get over trying to keep this working vehicle pristine.

I treat all my new CI surfaces close to a process called "Dave's Dirty Dozen." I use WD-40 with a gray Scotchbrite pad under a 1/4 sheet sander and with light pressure make several passes. I'll clean with a rag and repeat. The use a degreaser to clean the table then quickly (sometimes you can see surface rust appear before your eye after degreasing) apply Boeshield T-9 let set and then add paste wax. This may remove the defects.

Mike

If I can catch the scratch with my fingernail, then I will remove it, otherwise it just adds character. I also use WD-40 and light grit sandpaper, 220-320, followed by degreaser and paste wax.

Blog Entries
    If they are of a type that marks the material sliding across it, I smooth them down, if they are only visual, I don't bother.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If a 2" chisel doesn't snag on it, I leave it be.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Please keep the comments coming on this one. I know a number of us are interested in what others do about scratches in cast iron surfaces. I inadvertently scratched my brand new Sawstop PCS.
    -bernie

Lie-Nielsen advises Sandflex Blocks from Klingspor for their hand planes. I got them in medium and fine, used on my planes and tablesaw and they are fantastic for light scratches and rust.

I stopped worrying about scratches once I ran my circular saw into my tablesaw top.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

If you take the scratches all the way out then you will have a depression in the table. I hate scratches as much as the next guy but it is inevitable. Take any burrs off that stick above the table, and call it a day.

I had just bought my SCM 520 planer and had an employee run some tapered Dolly Varden siding reproductions through it on an angled jig. The pieces were held in place with screws, and I explained to him not to set the screws too deep and to use 1 1/4". He used 1 5/8 inch. He put about 20 scratches in the cast steel table and never even noticed it. I fired himas it was not his first oops, but I still have to look at the scratches every time I use the planer. I thought about taking it off and having it resurfaced, but it really does not affect operation at all so I put up with it, but ya, it does bug you doesn't it?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    I stopped worrying about scratches once I ran my circular saw into my tablesaw top.
    Mine was a router. Surprising how well they cut cast iron.

I'm glad to see reason prevail on this issue. Some folks seem to think that only mirror-like TS tops work well. Clean? Absolutely. Waxed? You betcha. Constant point of worry and concern? Not in my shop, and my shop is cleaned regularly.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks for all the great info. After reading all of the comments, I don't believe that the scratches on the saws will be a problem, but it is great to know how to remove them if they or any new ones cause issues ! And yes Larry your right, they do drive me nuts !!! Thanks !
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 04-05-2011 at 9:05 PM.