Thread: Workshop cooling

Workshop cooling

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have experience with Port-a-Cool?

It's kind of like a swamp cooler. I know it would be blowing moist air into the shop, but it's humid here in the summer anyway (Austin,Tx).

I saw one today at Northern Tool. Looks like a good idea.

Mark

I'll be interested to hear responses on this. Here in the Central Valley in California a lot of people use swamp coolers (evaporative coolers) when they can during the summer, in lieu of spending gobs on AC. But the Central Valley is very arid and so while swamp coolers work very effectively for cooling they would definitely affect the stability of the wood if you were piping moist air directly into the shop during the summer. Best to stick with AC here.

I haven't spent any time in the south but have always understood that the humidity is high and simply a fact of life; consequently, I've always assumed that swamp coolers would be less effective there. I would think that as humid as it is that the air was already saturated too much to make them work effectively. In other words, I would assume it might not affect your wood much because the environment is already humid; but consequently, would it actually cool the shop much? I'm curious now if my assumptions are all wrong?

Lately, there's been some talk between my wife and I (and other members of the family) of possibly moving to the Oklahoma/Texas area sometime in the next year. So that's a big reason why I'm curious to see the responses.

I just realized that this should be in the Workshops forum. Sorry. Moderator please move if necessary.

Mark

A "swamp" cooler won't work so well in a humid environment. That is because as the relative humidity goes up the difference between the temperature and the wet-bulb temperature gets very small.

Blog Entries
    Any device, other than a block of ice, that is self contained totally within the room isn't going to alter the temperature of the room. To reduce the temperature of a space you have to remove heat from that space and put it somewhere else. Most will in fact increase the temperature of the room due to inefficiencies. If you aren't venting or conveying heat to the outside your just consuming power.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm in Austin and use a window AC unit. Make sure to insultate the attic space about the garage(I also insulated my garage doors). I also put in a ceiling fan to slowly circulate the air. But you are going to be hot, just a fact of life here.

In Austin it might do something, but not as much as in the desert southwest. At least you are not in Houston. The air conditioned stores will have these things going and the air will be really cold when you walk past them. That's because the AC unit has already pulled much of the humidity out of the air and the building is large enough that the AC can keep up with its dehumidifying role. If your shop has a window or door that opens up to a relatively cool area (such as a covered patio or yard under a tree), you could set up a swamp cooler that pulls that air in. Open a door or window on the far end of the shop so that it is constantly pulling the less humid area from outside your shop, through the swamp cooler, then through your shop. Whatever you do, try and recirculate the air.

A swamp cooler is something you can fashion yourself if you have some odd parts lying around.

I would be little concerned with the dimensional stability of your wood if the humidity makes lots of swings, but that wouldn't keep me from doing it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Oklahoma and lived in Arizona as an adult. Swamp coolers were used in both areas. They don't cool well (concession to Lee: give the feeling of coolness) once the humidity gets above about 15 or 20%.

I had one and used in the shop until about 3 years ago. Bottom line, if you live in a humid environment, don't bother.

I grew up right outside Modesto and have lived in Oklahoma City my entire adult life. We had a swamp cooler in California and it worked great in an area that was essentially re-claimed desert. When we moved to Oklahoma my parents brought the swamp cooler with us. It created unbelieveable humidity and caused mold in May all the way into July. August it was dry enough that it actually worked. My parents bought an air conditioner the next year. I would think Austin would have more humidity than we have here.

I dont know if Mark is convinced but you all certainly confirmed what I suspected. So if Mark will indulge me, can i ask how all you Oklahomans and Texans feel about your respective states? Intriguingly, Eddie we've been looking at OKC specifically. Do you ever miss CA and the Valley?

I'm more than willing to take this conversation to the Off Topic forum BTW, if anyone is willing to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Clark View Post
    I dont know if Mark is convinced but you all certainly confirmed what I suspected. So if Mark will indulge me, can i ask how all you Oklahomans and Texans feel about your respective states? Intriguingly, Eddie we've been looking at OKC specifically. Do you ever miss CA and the Valley?

I'm more than willing to take this conversation to the Off Topic forum BTW, if anyone is willing to follow.
    I used to be a Californian, now I'm a Texan. I love it and wouldn't move back. But expect Texas to be Texas not California because it is different slightly. (I live in Austin which is the most liberal of major Texas cities). The only time I miss it is when it gets really hot, but only when it is over 100 and humid.

OK. I'm not going to get the swamp cooler. I've been wired for quite some time to set up a mini-split AC. I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now.

Douglas, You'll find Texans are full of pride for their state. Most people who move here seem to like it. I'm biased. I grew up here. There is a major migration of Californians. There's a particular forum that would answer many questions about Texas. I don't know if I'm allowed to post that URL.

Bye the way. There is a rivalry between UT (University of Texas) and OU (Oklahoma University). Hook'em Horns!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about Texas. Austin in particular.

Mark