Thread: kiln dried wood

kiln dried wood

My brother is just starting out and I do not turn so this may sound silly but, can you use kiln dried wood to turn with?

By all means, probably will get a little more dust. There are a lot of turners here that use dry wood and kiln dried.

Some of us MUCH prefer bone dry wood!!

I use a lot of kiln dried wood for boxes, segmented pieces and travel mugs.

You wont have any problems turning kiln dried at all, as everyone has said above, maybe a little dustier because it is so dry but it will work just fine like that, I have used a lot for the lids on boxes and HF's so far among other things.

I wouldn't hesitate. I'd guess 3/4 of my stock is dried, kiln or otherwise.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Some of us MUCH prefer bone dry wood!!
    I've always wondered about that, John... is it due to reduced movement after roughout? Or maybe because you can go to final turn immediately? Turning green is sooo much smoother...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan has it right. dried wood can be turned to final shape in one stage without too much worry about wood movement. Yes it cuts differently, but think about this: if you rough to 10 percent and then dry, all of the finish cuts and sanding ARE on dry wood. While roughing green timber is easier, its not that much so for the impatient.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Christopher,

Here is a bowl I just finished using some 1x6 birch wood base from a jobsite of ours. (Owner was going to throw it out!!!) Its a bit under 9" diameter x 2.75" tall. The only problem I'd say, its sometimes a little more challenging sanding the end grain, otherwise it's just fine .... and you can finish turn it all at once.

web IMG_6153.jpgweb IMG_6154.jpg

Kiln dried wood works well!

We enjoy helping out beginners!! If your brother has any questions - have him check in with us and we'll do what we can to pull him deeper into the vortex! It is what we do!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    While roughing green timber is easier, its not that much so for the impatient.
    Impatient!! That would be me! I enjoy the stability factor, and the ability to complete a project in a short time frame. I understand bowl turners doing rough outs. Most of the forms are rather standard, and one could come back to a rough out and complete it consistent with the original intent. But, for art forms, I need to progress through the turning to completion. If I come back to it, I may not have the same conception or, more importantly, may have lost interest!!

Kiln (kill) dried wood works fine. Air dried, solar kiln dried, dehumidifier dried, or vacuum kiln dried wood is far superior. Difference to a flat work worker like me is that when you rip a board on your table saw, with the kill dried wood you get dust. With the others you get shavings.

robo hippy