Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Custom?) outboard equipment for Jet 1642

Blog Entries
    Mikey,

I'm not a fan of the free-standing versions, despite their ease of being put away... it just seems like a hack. So that also leaves me with choices 2 and 3. I lean towards the articulating arm setup, but I don't see myself having enough time to biuld one up (as I sit on my lazy butt and type this message ).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan, really the articulated system is nice, you could do the build in a day, and if you have access to a local scrap yard spend less than $30.00. When I purchased the parts for mine I also purchased a "spare" down bar, it was an old axle from something. I did this because I wasn't sure how I was gonna drill the 1" hole for my tool rest. I ended up using a piece of the axle for the tool rest holder, used my lathe to drill 1" hole, 8" through a 1 7/8" piece of solid steel for from each side. It was slow going, but I got it done. I really wasn't a difficult project, though. Dave did the welding for me, but it could have easily been done w/o any welding.

The problem with the free-standing solutions is not breaking but moving. Free-standing rests (especially the post welded to a wheel hub type) have been known to tip in toward the spinning piece (with disasterous results) or otherwise change their position with respect to the lathe. A design that is attached to the lathe at least won't be wandering around on its own.

It's really not possible to over-engineer one of these devices. Beef it up as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    What will my wife think! Cathy I am here, just putting lots of time getting done with other projects and my other money making hobbies. I did 15 deer skull plate mounts and 2 european skull mounts this last week and did a little turning to boot! I have been going to make one of these for a while now, I have all the materials for one, and now that I have taken a hiatus from taking orders I can get it perfected, then one never knows what I will do in a few months once the honey do list is shorter and the shelves are full at the galleries for the tourist season.

Keep the faith,

Jeff
    Oh, I wasn't going to bother you, you've been very good to me! Was just wishing the honey-do list was shorter! I'll be interested to see what you come up with on this, though ....

Is there a picture of the one that Jet sells? I have looked for one and am unable to find any.
    Dennis

Blog Entries

Thanks Dan.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    I'm leaning heavily towards the Laguna outboard extension ($145+ shipping), with some modification. I'm considering putting it on a hinge that swings down, along with an extendable/removable pole at the end for support. That way, I only lose a few extra inches of walking space when the extension is folded down, and it's easy/fast to put up.

Can anyone see an issue with such a setup? Suggestions on a beefy, pre-made hinge?

I just called Busy Bee to see if the extension bolts to a 3520B. They didn't have any in stock and none are due till June...

I wonder how I can find out if it'll fit.. short of ordering one...

They're a Canadian company... Any Canadians here who know of web sites catering to Canadians where I can enquire?

Thanks

Have fun and take care

Picture # 4 looks like it has a "That was easy" button from Staples...

Air-powered remote, with magnetic base :-))
    Have fun and take care

I'm not trying to change your mind, but one more thing to think about is the possible similarity between the Busy Bee and Laguna extensions. People have mentioned in previous threads about the 18-47 lathes coming from the same Chinese manufacturing facility, but just having different brand-names on them, such as Grizzly, Busy Bee, Laguna, etc. They do all look about the same to me, but I don't hold myself out to be any expert on the 18-47's.

My point is, if you're considering the Laguna, and if the Busy Bee and Laguna extensions are the same, and if the Busy Bee is priced cheaper than the Laguna, does the price make a difference? I'm pretty much color-blind, but Laguna's bland white seems to look about like Jet's bland white, so if you got the Laguna, you might not have to do any painting. Not sure what color the Busy Bee's extension is-and not sure you'd even care about colors, as long as it did its job. I'm just throwing that out there, in case the two extensions are identical.

I'd gone back a few days ago, and looked at both side-by side toggling back and forth, and I couldn't see any difference myself, but I may be missing something. Again, I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, it's just something to think about before you pull the trigger.

Blog Entries
    Mikey,

I looked at the same thing, but like others have seen, the Busy Bee is touch to find in stock. Not having to paint is a nice touch, and in and of itself is probably worth $20-30 by itself (I'm kind of a neat freak in my shop). I'm going to order it and find a nice, beefy hinge to hang it on, then a couple pieces of pipe to act as an adjustable stand.

I made a quick and dirty prototype the other day and have a few things I want to tweek on it and I think it will work well. It is a free standing one that will break down for storage or shipping and not weigh that much. It has an option that is not offered with the jet and PM stands. Will work on an articulating one also just to see what I can come up with then who knows where I will go with it!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown