Thread: black locust

Blog Entries

black locust

anyone ever turn black locust?? i found a whole pile of it 12 to 30 in in diameter. ed

2. Quote Originally Posted by ed hoxter View Post
    anyone ever turn black locust?? i found a whole pile of it 12 to 30 in in diameter. ed
    Ed,

I have never turned any as of yet.........I did turn down a whole tree removed by one of my neighbors last year because I read that black locust sometimes causes respiratory problems. I nearly died in 2006 because of them, and did not want to take a chance. I think there is some info on this species and others on the wood toxicity list somewhere on the AAW website.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

its a nice wood to work. extremely hard, but you can sand it and turn it to fine detail. it smells good sometimes. its a great wood to turn wet and then finish when dry.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I turn locust frequently. It is a common wood in our area, and I have even cleaned off some locust stumps and hacked off the "tentacles" sticking off the sides of the stump. They have some great grain. When dry, it is hard on the tools, and it will still move after turning from the relief of the inner stresses. The trees can get 24"-30" across here, with several forks. The crotch wood also has great figure. I recommend it for sure. The pics are of items i have turened from black locust in the past year from the stumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% in agreement with Fred. Turns really well and quite hard when finishing out a rough out once dry. Well worth the effort.

I did a set of candlesticks for last fall's SMC turning contest.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ontest-Spindle

I got a little more than a trunkload of it off Craigslist last year and so far that's the only thing I've turned from it. Hmm I need to spend more time in the shop! What little experience I had though, I'd agree with Fred and Bill; nice to turn, harder than heck when dry, and can be really pretty! Have fun with it!

Based on those results...I'd turn it !! And to avoid the inhalation issues...wear your appropriate dust protection
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Ed - pick some up and turn it! Chances are you will like it but if not - then trade it for some that you do like turning!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the wood or something turned from it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Pioneers liked it along with elm for wheel hubs on their prairie schooners. Very durable and shock resistant. It is also used for tool handles. It is quite hard when dry. Open grain but will polish well. I try not to turn either elm or locust anymore. Would hate to think of trying to sand out scratches by hand. Take goodness for power sanders.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Blog Entries
    thanks for the input guys. i have just one problem with the pile of locust, the fellow that has it is going to put it his wood stove next winter. i'm going back tomorrow and see if i can talk him out of a few pieces. thanks guys ed

Black Locust takes about 2 years to dry properly for burning. As others have said, it is hard when dry. It will also glow under black lights. Some people are allergic to it (as in legume seed pods). I have a friend who reacts to it when green, but not when it is dry. Yellow green in color when green, and oxidizes like osage when dry to a more amber color.

robo hippy

What's the difference between black locust and honey locust in terms of workability? I've had a honey locust stump section sitting by my wood pile for probably 2-3 years. It is knobby and twisted and probably has very interesting grain pattern. I've avoided cutting it up and putting it on the lathe given all the comments of it being like "turning concrete". Might have to at least cut it open and see what's inside...

Ed, I have only uworked with it green on a shaving horse making pegs for a timberframe. Has great shear strength. Thought it was pretty.

In my experience honey locust is much nicer to work with. Black locust has a tendency to crack as it moves.

Regards, Steve

I have found the workability to be about the same, but prefer the colors in the Honey Locust a lot more, and it smells better.

robo hippy