Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: big oak platter and some ash

hi donny,
    not sure yet it will be couple months before i get to that part.probably danish oil followed by wop.

patrick

thanks dick,

I figured somebody would like the floor, my shop looks like that on a daily bases.I clean once every two weeks or so hard to bag it all up I use 55gallon bags but swmbo cant lift them . funny watching her drag them up the driveway.

patrick

thanks john,

hope the floor did not cause you much greef (lol).

patrick

hi michelle,

thanks wood is amazing I hope they finish just as nice.

patrick

thanks steve,

me too

patrick

thanks mark,

hope so

patrick

hi bill,

if you would have seen the wood before we cut it ,you mite had said no way that was my first thought. but glad mike wanted to see for himself.

patrick

Patrick, I finally saw this thread! WOW, those turned out amazing.

So, the story was that Patrick was coming over (with his 24" chainsaw) to cut up the stump from the ambrosia/spalted maple that the lot of us cut up a month ago. After cutting up that stump, I dragged (well, drove on my ATV) Patrick over to a couple of downed ash trees. He had expressed an interest in ash, so I thought I'd let him have at it. Unfortunately, they'd been down just a little too long. Way too punky. So, I took him over to a stump that my neighbor had sitting around. Knowing that Patrick was coming over, I had contacted my neighbor asking him what his intentions were for the stump...burn pile... I asked him if we could cut it up for turning and he had no issue with it. So, as I drove up to the ash stump, I pointed it out. Patrick didn't even see it. His eyes were on a large downed oak on my neighbor's property. Long story short (too late), we got som crotch oak pieces...I let Patrick have all of that because I'm just not into oak...I'm second guessing that move.

That just about wore Patrick out. He was ready to give up the ghost. With the ATV wagon full, I suggested cuttin' up the ash stump. He reluctantly agreed...but wanted nothing to do with the cutting. After some discussion about which would be the best way to cut it up (I don't think Patrick really cared...I don't think he thought it was worth it...I think he just wanted to get back to the house!), I grabbed his saw and had at it. I practically had to twist his arm to take those ash slabs. I think the sweat and muscle fatigue were clouding his sight... One of the main reasons that I insisted on him taking those slabs was that they could yeild much bigger bowls than what I could turn. It would have been a shame to have cut them down to 18". So, after we loaded up his pick up with that load of oak (on top of the maple), we headed back down to get the ash. With that loaded up, Patrick took off.

Glad to see another satisfied turner leaving with a truckfull of wood.

Hey, Patrick, think that poplar stump'll be anything?
    I drink, therefore I am.

mike time will tell about the poplar lol

patrick

Yeah, the next "time" you come over! Poplar, not being really hard and durable, probably should sit around too long. I also don't think it lends well to spalting, even though the fungus is growing on the cut part. My guess is that the beauty of that stump will come from whatever figure is in it, not from spalting. Anyway, let me know when you want to open her up...
    I drink, therefore I am.

maybe when we return your one bowl.I found some instructions for the coring system.

patrick

Those are beauties for sure. I do like the last one for sure. Can't wait to see them finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

thanks bernie,

hope they finish well.

patrick