Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool sander problem

Festool sander problem

I purchased a Festool RS 400 EQ sander several years ago based on the belief that I was getting a high quality German engineeered tool. We use the tool primarly to sand drywall, door jambs, window stools, and other applications where we need to sand into square corners in our remodeling business. The tool performs great with one exception: I'm on my third hook & loop base pad; the hooks eventually stop holding onto the paper. Replacement pads are $25 so not a huge deal but definately not something I expected in a $215 sander. Am I being unrealistic? I haven't had any such problems with my PC and Fein hook and loop sanders.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    What happens to the pad? Are the hooks melting, are they getting ground down, or are they clogging? A quick look under a magnifying glass could tell us quite a bit.

The hooks are getting worn down...more so on the edges. The pad that was just replaced this week was purchased less than a year ago. The original pad lasted about 2 years. Maybe the drywall dust is contributing to the wear? Maybe I should just shut up, stop complaining and get back to work
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I've had mine for years with no issues or need to replace the pad. That said, it sounds as though this unit gets used daily or near there in your business. If this is the case, things were out. I'd be more of the frame of mind that is, this is a great tool as I can replace the pads over and over, yet the main body is like the enigizer bunny. Also, over pressure, you don't need it with these things, can result in more heat which will lead to faster wear out of pads. just a thought.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott

sounds like you are a pro and putting more use on your sander in a week than mine see in a year, so not sure I can comment on your longevity issues. From my perspective - I view the pads as a consumable - that's why they are pretty easy to change out.

if you are running several hundred sheets of paper or more through the sander before the pad gets thrashed I'd say that was within reason - if the pad does not last past a box of 50 then i'd compalin

my 2 cents

No one has ever accused the Festool pads of being durable. "Stic-fix" is just another word for "Velcro pads that don't last very long".

JT

I agree with the above. Worn out velcro is the number one complaint I've seen posted by professionals, not just on your sander model, but with the rotex and orbitals, etc.

Yes, you are being unrealistc. Those pads are pretty much consumables, especially on small detail sanders. That's why they're available off the shelf.

I just replaced, for the third time, the pad for my 125. Like you, I use it daily for my business. My Festool dealer says it's the Achilles Heel of Festool, and knocked 20% off the replacement pad so I was out the door for 20 bucks.

So I was without a ROS for an afternoon, since I was on-site and didn't have a backup. There are worse situations. Sanding pads are the only problem I have with any of my Festool tools....everything else has been extremely reliable despite my best attempts to kill them.

Heavy users seem agree about the velcro pad life, but some sanders are harder on them than others. It could be worse, you could be running the 115 E sander and REALLY see some short pad life if it got too hot. That's the sander that seems to get the most complaints from construction people using it on a daily basis. I have a new pad in my Systainer with the 115E based on their comments as a "just in case" back-up. For all my other Festool Sanders, I'm like everyone else, not a daily user like yourself. As long as you're not killing the sander itself , I agree that it's the cost of doing business with regards to pad wear. Velcro is more fragile than the old center mounted paper[ with the flat backing pad] like on my old Milwaukee 4 1/2" sander. I DID wipe out the Velcro pad on my old Bosch ROS, so it's not just Festool that can kill these plastic pads.

Heat kills velcro, too much pressure causes excessive heat.
    I've burned a few myself, buy extras as backup.

We use the tool primarly to sand drywall, door jambs, window stools, and other applications where we need to sand into square corners in our remodeling business.
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!! :O

Don't use it for drywall.
    Drywall (dust) is abrasive and will kill off a ROS in short order.( dang it! Edit again - I meant to say any hook and loop, not just a ROS)

PC makes a pole sander/vac unit for drywall if you do enough or use it in habitated areas enough to justify the cost.

Edit: ( I checked online and the Grainger in San Jose looks to be the closest to you. You can probably get hooked up w/a decent price from them on one. They sell for about $425, not including the vac)

I'm a lot simpler & I never power sand joint compound in a habitated setting.
    I pick up a B&D 1/3 sheet sander from Wal Mart for ~ $20.00, slap a drywall screen on it and run it till it dies. One usually lasts for 2 whole house remodels.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-09-2011 at 8:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!! :O

Don't use it for drywall.
    Drywall (dust) is abrasive and will kill off a ROS in short order.( dang it! Edit again - I meant to say any hook and loop, not just a ROS)

PC makes a pole sander/vac unit for drywall if you do enough or use it in habitated areas enough to justify the cost.

Edit: ( I checked online and the Grainger in San Jose looks to be the closest to you. You can probably get hooked up w/a decent price from them on one. They sell for about $425, not including the vac)

I'm a lot simpler & I never power sand joint compound in a habitated setting.
    I pick up a B&D 1/3 sheet sander from Wal Mart for ~ $20.00, slap a drywall screen on it and run it till it dies. One usually lasts for 2 whole house remodels.
    Rich, I have to disagree. I hand sanded drywall for years. I got tired of the room & myself being covered with drywall dust when I was finished. After reading all of the posts on different boards of people using Festool sanders hooked to a vacuum on drywall, I decided to give it a try. I will never hand sand drywall again. I used a Festool DTS 400 sander. When I was finished, the only dust I had to cleanup was a small amount right at the base of the wall. The rest of the room & myself were clean.

Before power sanding the ceiling I was concerned about holding the sander on the ceiling while sanding a 12' X 30' room. What I found was that the suction from the vac helped hold the sander to the ceiling. It was easier then hand sanding. I know sanding drywall is hard on the sander, but it sure makes the job a lot better & easier.

As someone else stated, getting a pad hot is what causes the velcro on a pad to fail. I have been using several Festool sanders since 2007. The only one I have had to replace a pad on is the RAS 115 E. It is very easy to get that pad to hot. I now always keep a new spare pad in the case.

I also keep an old damaged pad in the case. Even though the velcro is melted off of the outer edge of the pad, there are still enough hooks left in the center to hold paper on for those times when I know I will be getting the pad to hot.

Festool does sell a center mount pad for the RAS that uses standard center mount paper that is available at the big box stores. http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/f...pad-/p/485298/

All Velcro pads wear out. The more you change the paper the faster they will wear out. Next time get a couple of them and when they wear out you have them on hand.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like I'm not alone in questioning the Festool velcro pad's useful life. I do use it it my business but not every day. I've probably gone through 50-100 sheets before the latest pad failed. That's not acceptable for a tool that claims to be rugged.

Here's what Festool says about the pad on this model:

"StickFix for Easy Abrasive Changes
    Also contributing to the DTS 400's convenience and versatility is the simple, rugged nature of the StickFix hook-and-loop design. This abrasive-attachment method allows for fast and easy abrasive removal whenever you need to change grit types or replace a worn abrasive, and it holds abrasives securely in place while you work. Plus, due to the resilient pad hooks and hard-wearing fabric backing that make up this system's components, you'll experience longer abrasive life and longer pad life."

....and here's a pic from the same Festool ad showing the sander being used in an industrial setting...again inferring it's "rugged" and "longer pad life". I otherwise love the sander and particularly it's unique rectangular shap, which fits my application very nicely. I'll continue to throw money at replacement pads but it does cast a shadow over Festool's reputation IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom