Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Nova Users

Question Question for Nova Users

Anybody use one of those double ended MT2 alignment tools when realigning your head and tailstock? Teknatool and Packard have them. Just wondering if they were of any value.

I've wondered the same. I thought about ordering one from Packard, but haven't yet. At one time, I thought Teknatool had discontinued carrying them, could be wrong on that. I still just line up the
    spur drive point with the live center.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    At one time, I thought Teknatool had discontinued carrying them, could be wrong on that.
    You might be right Richard. They have it on their website (accessories and spare parts), but that doesn't mean they have them. I would just get it from Packard.

I haven't used one and like Richard, just line up the points. It is so easy, why spend even $3 (I know they are more but you get the point).
    Last edited by Steve Kubien; 04-08-2011 at 2:47 PM. Reason: spelling

My first lathe was a Nova 3000. I used one of the double ended alignment tools all the time. It makes alignment so much easier.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I don't use one. Just line 'er up by sight, ain't that bad any any time that's saved could only be a few seconds. Put that money on another chuck or something.

I keep meaning to order one of the double ended tapers, but never seem to get around to it.

Once you've confirmed (with a regular dead and live center) that the headstock and tailstock are at the correct height, a dual taper would let you re-center the headstock while blindfolded <s>
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

It takes me all of 10 seconds to bring up the tail stock, line up the head stock and tighten it down. I wouldnt waste my time with an additional tool that will roll off the back of the bench and get lost in the shavings.

I have one, I keep it with the morse taper cleaner. I brought it to use on an old Teknatool TL 1000/8 which had a dodgy tailstock. I didnt need it with the big Woodfast (Rikon in the US), but it does do duty at the woodclub, where I maintain the machinery.

I found with my 1624 that it was always off by the same small amount of about 1/64". When I turn it back to spindle position I simply pull the chuck slightly to me (maybe 3 lbs. of pressure?). I did check it several time after I started doing that and it always lined up. I haven’t checked it for over a year and have not noticed any problems. If it isn’t lining up my eyes can’t tell the difference.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Well, I figured I would get a bit of a mixed bag on this. I am having a bit of a problem with the line up. Can line it up no problem by eye, but the tailstock point is a bit lower than the headstock. I would say around a 64th, have not measured it. No big woop for turning a spindle, but a big enough deal when drilling. I have not really found information on adjusting the height on the nova. Need to continue the research.

Good news was I called Teknatool in FLA to see if I could order the tailstock chuck adapter and low and behold it is finally available. I have their live center system and want to use it for carving on the lathe. Since I ordered it and was already paying the minimum freight I ordered one of the Acrulines as well. It may end up being a paper weight, but it may also help in sorting out my problems. Thanks for the input.

Hi All;
    This is a great question and one that has been on my mind since setting up my DVR XP in Jan 2010. I have the head and tail stocks lined up perfectly point to point but, the Tailstock is 3/1000" LOW. I put a little piece of brass shim material under the tailstock when drilling small holes so I know the height is low by that much.
    I would really like to know how to adjust the tailstock up or the headstock down so they line up perfectly without the brass shim. It makes a big difference when drilling very small holes.
    I hope there is an answer that can be done in the shop. The double MT#2 might be great but if there is a problem like some of us have with a low tailstock then by using the double ended MT#2 taper you can put some serious pressure on the bearings and that cannot be good???
    The headstock has been swiveled and checked for being tight with the locking pin, and all looks right on that end. As you know the left / right alignment plate under the tailstock has also been set accurately.
    Hope there is an answer, it is the only (little) difficulty I have had with an otherwise perfect machine.
    Peter F.

I have one and use it on my PM3520B. There is just enough movement when moving the drive head back to the normal position that I noticed some misalignment is possible. I don't use it often but it's handy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mark I have the Nova DVR and use it all the time. Since I have had it I have not had a problem with alignment and it just takes a minute to get it lined up.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You can never have enough tools and if you need it even only once and you have it - then it was worth buying! I have one.
    Bill