Thread: Picture of new shaper, question about cutters

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Picture of new shaper, question about cutters

Well, I picked up my new shaper yesterday. I spent about 2 hours cleaning the top and getting it greased up. I was a little dissapointed to discover that there were no spindles that came with it. One the bright side, it did come with the 1/2 in collet adapter so I can run my bigger router bits in it!

The man who sold it to me also threw in an extra HTC mobile base for $25 that fits my drill press stand perfectly. All total, I spent $68 on a new 3/4 spindle, $25 on the extra base and $400 for the shaper! The shaper has never been used for anything other than a glorified router and has very little wear on the USA made marathon motor.

Here is my question. I still would like to get a router table, would it be crazy to get the rail and stile profile for the router table and the panel raising cutter for the shaper? My though process is along the lines that it will be a little while before I get a power feeder for the shaper and cutting those rails on the shaper is a bit intimidating (not to say that the router isn't dangerous also). What do you think, get one cutter set or split up the work. Another advantage would be that I would be able to have a friend cut the panels while I worked on the rails/stiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images